|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
|Half Way House
-- junction of Highways 6 and 24, Lots 4 and 5 of Woodhouse Gore in
Woodhouse Township on Lot 1, Concession 2. Half way between Simcoe and
Port Dover to east, Simcoe and Vittoria to south-southwest, Simcoe and
Port Ryerse to south-southeast. Site of hotel, livery or gas station for
many years. Today a farm field. Briefly called Brown’s Corners. In 1867
G. W. W. Brown operated Brown’s Hotel there. Photo.
Hamlock -- post office established and closed in 1874. See Hemlock (below).
Hartford -- hamlet in northeast Townsend Township on Lot 24,
Concessions 3 and 4 on border with Walpole Township in Haldimand County.
South of intersection of Regional Roads 19 and 20. Earlier called
Circularville. One of first mills with a circular saw operated there by
John Wilcox. Post office changed name 1852 for Hartford, Connecticut. The
8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Hartford post office had
revenue of $115.01 and salaries of $42; the 14 Mar 1888 British
Canadian newspaper reported the Hartford post office had revenue of
$118.78 and salaries of $50 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec
1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Hartford post office had revenue
of $175.50 and salaries of $100.60. Once site
of Townsend S. S. 21 school house
Hay Creek -- stream running through southwest Woodhouse Township. Meets Lake Erie between Port Dover and Port Ryerse.
Hay Creek Conservation Area -- area on Hay Creek north of Port Ryerse in Woodhouse Township at corner of Radical Road and Port Ryerse Road. A Government of Ontario facility to conserve area wildlife.
Hazen Settlement -- small 19th century community in Walsingham Township, on south part Lot 10, Concession 5. Named for surveyor Daniel Hazen who mapped Walsingham Township in 1796 and was granted the lot. Later named Spring Arbor.
Hemlock -- post office established in 1878, perhaps succeeding
Hemlock Creek -- stream, rises west Houghton Township on Lot 3, North Road Concession, flows south to Lake Erie.
Highway 3 -- major east-south access road through Norfolk County. Passing south of Tillsonburg through mid-Middleton Township, through Delhi, Courtland, Simcoe, Renton and Jarvis. Border between Charlotteville and Windham Townships, between Townsend and Woodhouse Townships, and for a distance, between Windham and Middleton as it approaches Delhi. In early 1800s eastern part was called Talbot Road. Middleton concessions were numbered north and south of it.
Highway 6 -- road runs southeast through Woodhouse Township from Jarvis in Walpole Township, Haldimand County to Port Dover then veers west to junction with Highway 3 Half Way House. Surveyed in 1838 and completed in 1844 as the Hamilton to Port Dover Plank Road with a bed of wooden planks.
Highway 24 -- major north-south access road. Starts north of Norfolk, runs south through Simcoe almost to Lake Erie then veers west through Charlotteville to Highway 59 in centre of Walsingham Township. Served as border between Townsend and Windham Townships. Called Norfolk Street in Simcoe. Called "The Fifth" in Walsingham. Continues north through Brant County, the Town of Paris, and City of Cambridge to Trans-Canada Highway 401. Opened in 1815. Originally veered north of Simcoe through Bloomsburg and Waterford to Mount Pleasant and Brantford, the present Regional Road 24. On official Ontario Road map.
Highway 59 -- major north-south road. Runs north through Walsingham Township from Long Point to junction at Highway 3 at Courtland, jogs west with Highway 3 to Delhi, then north through Middleton into South Norwich Township, Oxford County. Called "The Port Rowan and Tilsonburg Plank Road" in mid-1800s.
Hillcrest -- (1) hamlet 1 miles west of Simcoe in Charlotteville Township on Lot 24, Concession 9, on Hillcrest Road north of Regional Road 1. Today a suburb of Simcoe, dozens of homes, a few businesses, no cemetery [GPS:49.765/20.194] -- (2) Name of small pioneer cemetery east of Forestville in Charlotteville Township [GPS:41.913/22.290]
Hopeville -– see Tyrell
Houghton Centre -- hamlet in southwest Houghton Township in Lots 8 and 9, north and south of Lake Road, Houghton Township. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Houghton post office had revenue of $147.90 and salaries of $58; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Houghton post office had revenue of $167.69 and salaries of $60 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Houghton post office had revenue of $106.02 and salaries of $76. [GPS:36.078/39.695]
Houghton Sandhills -- a sandy stretch of Lake Erie shore in Houghton Township. Highest point is about 240 feet above the lake. A popular tourist attraction, elk farm, RV campsite. Fun for the kids. Today enclosed by Sand Hills Park. [GPS:35.565/38.500]
Houghton Township -- on Lake Erie shore, west of Walsingham Township, east of Bayham Township, Elgin County. Pie-shaped. Comes to a point in the north at Middleton Township. Named for Houghton St. Giles which is northwest of the City of Norwich in Norfolk County, England. Settlement began in the second decade of the 1800s along Lake Erie and in the northern tip. Township seat was at Fairground. Other Houghton place names: Mabee's Corners, Glen Meyer, Langton, Frogmore, Cultus, and Clear Creek [on Norfolk County Communities Map]
Hunger Lake -- small lake in Windham Township in Lots 17 and 18,
Concessions 2 and 3. Also called Lake Hunger. Once site of Windham S. S.
14 Lake Hunger school house. A small stream runs from
this lake into Big Creek.