|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
hamlet in Windham Township, on Lots 13 and 14, Concession 1, on Regional
Road 25, along the Windham Township line with Burford Township, Brant
County west of the town of Scotland. [There is a River Kelvin and a
district called Kelvinside near Glasgow in Lanark County, Scotland] On
official Ontario road map. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the
Kelvin post office had revenue of $135.41 and salaries of $62; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian
newspaper reported the Kelvin post office had revenue of $121.77 and
salaries of $60 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. There was no post office
in Kelvin by 1919. In 2002, a hamlet of a few
dozen homes [GPS:59.900/27.385]
Kent Creek -- stream rises in south Windham Township, flows south then west through north Gore of Woodhouse Township to the Lynn River at Simcoe.
Kerne Settlement -- early name of Forestville.
(King Lake) -- hamlet in west Houghton Township in Lot 12, east of
North Road . Said named for a man who had an artificial pond or
lake on his property. In the 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Norfolk
County, C. King Sr. is listed as owning
land here and next to him was an artifical mill pond in the hamlet. The 8
Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Kinglake post office had
revenue of $41.69 and salaries of $10; the 14
Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Kinglake post
office had revenue of $77.32 and salaries of $28.50 in the year ending 30
Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Kinglake
post office had revenue of $145.08 and salaries of $76.69. Mary Clark, widow, is listed as the keeper of Kinglake Post
Office on the 1919 Voter's List. Once the site of Houghton S. S. 19 school house. Today, the last standing public building, "Kinglake Meth.
Church," has been converted to a private residence [GPS:42.100/42.190].
Kitchen Corners -- 19th century neighbourhood in Townsend
Township on Lot 18, Concession 6. North of Villa
Nova, east of Waterford.
Named for Moses Kitchen who farmed there from the mid-to-late 1800s.