|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
(1) -- hamlet in west Middleton Township, on Lot 7, Concession 1, on Regional
Road 38, south of Talbot Road. Pioneer settler John Mabee owned farm and kept store there.
Post office opened 1887, closed 1915.
The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer
reported the Mabee post office had revenue of $83.65 and salaries of
$47.60. Once the site of Middleton S. S. 1
Population: 100 in 1892, 57 in 1976. On official Ontario road map. [GSP:46.729/4o.644]
Mabee's Corners (2) -- former hamlet in Charlotteville, on Lot 9, Concession A, on bluffs overlooking Turkey Point on Front Road. In 1797, Levinah Mabee was granted the land; her son Pellum Mabee succeeded to it. May have also been called Bethel. The 30 Nov 1916 Simcoe Reformer's Clear Creek Personals column reported residents there felt the shock of the gas well explosion at Mabee's Corners the week before.
Mabee's Side Road -- (Regional Road 30) runs from Mabee's Corners in Middleton Township north to Highway 19 south of Tillsonburg.
Marburg -- small hamlet with great community spirit, northeast of Port Dover, in Woodhouse Township, on Lots 17 and 18, Concession 3. Named for Robert Marr, prominent land owner there. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Marburg post office had revenue of $69.65 and salaries of $35.04. Once site of Woodhouse S. S. 8 school house [GPS:49.841/10.314]
Marr’s Hollow -- in Woodhouse Township, Lot 9, Gore of Woodhouse, at junction of Lynn Valley Road and Highway 24. Named for David Marr who owned the lot and worked as a cabinet maker from 1830 to 1856.
Marston -- hamlet southwest of Langton in Walsingham Township, on Lot 4, Concessions 9 and 10. Started in late 1870s. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Marston post office had revenue of $16.56 and salaries of $10; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Marston post office had revenue of $36.75 and salaries of $12 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Marston post office had revenue of $32.00 and salaries of $24.00. By 1919 Marston's postal address was R. R. 2, Langton.
Messiah’s Corners -- hamlet northwest of Port Royal in Walsingham Township, on Lots 7 and 8, Concessions A and 1. Named for the Church of Messiah denomination which erected church there in 1883. In 2001 the site of a dozen homes and one excellent restaurant.
Middleton Centre – see Courtland
Middleton Township -- runs from Delhi on the Windham Township line in the southeast to Tillsonburg, Dereham Township in the north west. Bayham Township, Elgin County runs along its western line. Probably named for Middleton west of Norwich in Norfolk County, England. Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe designated a "Town of Middleton" here in 1790s. Actual settlement began the second decade of 1800s. County seat was Courtland then Delhi until advent of regional government.
Moore's Corners -- in Charlotteville Township, in Lot 12 Concession 2 , today the southwest corner of Highway 24 and Regional Road 10 (Turkey Point Road). This location was settled by James Moore in 1841 and continued in his family until 1905. Nothing remains.
Mud Creek -- small stream, flows through Walsingham's second concession
from St. Williams to Dedrick’s Creek north of Port Rowan south of Backus Mill.