|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
L M N
O P Q
U V W
X Y Z
– see Houghton Sandhills
Sandy Knoll -- 19th century hamlet in northeast of Simcoe in Townsend Township, on Lot 9, Concession 12. Hugh Collver operated a wagon and carriage shop there.
Sayle’s Mills –- see Waterford
Schuyler's Corners -- Mentioned in the 1895 death notice of Lewis Schuyler who lived in the south quarter of Lot 6, Concession 13, Townsend Township. At the intersection of Concession 13 and the Blue Line, east of the village of Colborne. [GPS:52.590/16.345]
Second Island -- south of Ryerson’s Island mid-way along Long Point in Walsingham Township.
Shawmut –- see Boston
Silver Creek -- small stream, rises in west Charlotteville Township, flows west through Lots 20 to 24, Concession 9, Walsingham Township where it meets Big Creek.
Silver Hill -- hamlet on Regional Road 16 south of Regional Road 1. South of Rhineland; north of Jericho. On old townline between Walsingham and Charlotteville Townships, on Walsingham Lot 24, Concessions 9 and 10, and Charlotteville Lot 1, Concessions 7 and 8. Site of early unsuccessful search for silver. Named by 1854 when Jas. W. Schram kept a hotel there. On official Ontario Road map. Post office opened 1853, closed 1932. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Silver Hill post office had revenue of $137.17 and salaries of $43; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Silver Hill post office had revenue of $64.75 and salaries of $30 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Silver Hill post office had revenue of $94 and salaries of $77. Population: 50 in 1895, 60 in 1966. In 2002, population increasing: site of four businesses and maybe 100 homes. [GPS:45.125/28.950]
at intersection of Highways 3 and 24, Norfolk County
seat, largest town in the County. At intersection of several townships: northwestern Woodhouse,
southwestern Townsend, and southeastern Windham. Named
for John Graves Simcoe, first Lieutenant Governor of province.
Originally two hamlets: in early 1800s, William Bird purchased
a lot on Argyle Street, built a store, called surrounding area Birdtown;
another hamlet sprang up around Aaron Culver’s saw and grist mill. Called Theresaville in
1820s in honour of wife of Robert Nichol. When post office established in 1829,
store owner James Kirkpatrick suggested the name Wellington; Culver
suggested Simcoe. Post office rejected Wellington as already used
elsewhere, and chose Simcoe. North end industrial centre was informally
called Wellington Heights. Further
north was Colborne Village, which was eventually annexed by Simcoe's
growth. When Talbot
District formed in 1837, Simcoe became centre of District government, then
Norfolk's county seat from the 1859 start of county government to 1973's start
of regional government. Seat of Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk,
1973-1999. Now largest community in the Town of Norfolk County.
On official Ontario Road map. The
8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Simcoe post office had
revenue of $4,458.18 and salaries of $1,278; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian
newspaper reported the Simcoe post office had revenue of $4,577.61 and
salaries of $1,400 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer
reported the Simcoe post office had revenue of $10,256.78 and salaries of
$3556.15. Population: 1,452 in
1852, 14,149 in 1980; 16,200 in 2004. Today site of Canada's largest ice
cream manufacturing plant [GPS:50.773/18.196]
Smokey Hollow -– see Doan’s Hollow
Snow Island -- uninhabited island, on the north side of Long Point in Walsingham Township, next to Second Island and Ryerson’s Island.
South Creek -- stream, flows south from Middleton Township, Lot 35, Concession 1, north of Talbot Road, then east to Big Creek west of Delhi in Charlotteville Township.
South Middleton -- hamlet on Highway 59, in Middleton Township on Lot 18, Concession 3, south of Talbot Road. On official Ontario Road map.The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the South Middleton post office had revenue of $59.43 and salaries of $32.59; the 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the South Middleton post office had revenue of $161 and salaries of $92.60.
Sovereen’s Corners -– see Delhi
Sovereign’s Mills -– see Waterford
Spooky Hollow -- small geographic area,
site of a single home and the Hamilton Naturalists' Spooky Hollow Sanctuary. On
southwest corner of Lot 18, Concession 1 of Charlotteville Township, where
the Charlotteville East Quarter Line (the road north-south road between Highway 24 and Normandale) crosses
Spring Creek -- small stream, flows north and east rises in Lot 24, Concession 5, flows northeast through Backus Conservation Area into Dedrick’s Creek.
Squire’s Ridge -- a rise of land on Long Point on Walsingham Township west of Courtwright’s Ridge.
St. John’s Road -- (Regional Road 3) road, runs east-west in Woodhouse Township, from St. John’s Church at Highway 24, east to Highway 6.
St. Williams -- village at junction of Regional Roads 16 and 42, on line between Walsingham and Charlotteville Townships, on Lot 24, Concessions 1 and 2 in Walsingham and on Lot 1, Concessions A and B in Charlotteville. Known as Neal's Corner's In early 1800s for Rev. George Neal who lived there. Named St. Williams perhaps for William Gillaspy, the saintly owner of Lot 24, Concession 2 who began severing village lots in 1832. Severances from Lot 24, Concession 1 by Peter Procunier in 1840s-1850s. In Charlotteville, severances principally by McCall family who owned local furniture manufacturing plant. See St. Williams: The History, by R. Robert Mutrie, Log Cabin Publishing (Ridgeway, ON: 1988) On official Ontario Road map. The 17 Jun 1869 Simcoe Reformer reported the post office at St. Williams had changed its name from Walsingham to St. Williams. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the St. Williams post office had revenue of $295.78 and salaries of $154; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the St. Williams post office had revenue of $259.27 and salaries of $140 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the St. Williams post office had revenue of $720.09 and salaries of $436.56. The original site of St. Williams brand jam factory [GPS: N 42 40.040 W 80 24.901] [on Norfolk County Communities Map]
Stickney’s -- a former station on the railway line between Port Dover and Simcoe, Woodhouse Township.
Stoney Creek flows from Windham Township through the southeast corner of Middleton Township meeting Big Creek in Lot 40, Concession 4, South of Talbot Road.
Stoney Creek, a small stream rising south of Windham Centre flows to the southwest corner of Windham Township and flows into Big Creek in Middleton Township. (There is also a town called Stoney Creek near the City of Hamilton, Ontario.)
Sturgeon Bay, a southern arm of Long Point Bay, Walsingham Township
east of the Old Cut Channel on Long Point.