|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
-– see Ellaton
Gilbertville -- hamlet south of Delhi in southwest Windham Township at intersection of Highway 3 and Regional Road 46.
Glen Meyer -- hamlet west of Langton surrounding the intersection of Regional Roads 21 and 23; in Walsingham Township Lot 1, Concessions 13 and 14, and in Houghton Township, Lots 19 and 20, Concession 1. George Edward Meyer bought 50 acres of Lot 14 in 1854, giving location his name. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Glen Meyer post office had revenue of $66.43 and salaries of $13.50; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Glenmeyer post office had revenue of $102.60 and salaries of $30 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Glen Meyer Post Office had revenue of $175.50 and salaries of $100.60. Today  Glen Meyer is home to two churches, a general store, and several home-based businesses [GPS:43.62/27.02] -- also see our online video of Glen Meyer Baptist Church cemetery.
Glenshee -- hamlet in Charlotteville Township on Lot 2, Concession 9. On Regional Road 1. southeast of Silver Hill, west of Simcoe. Called Portland in the 1867 Gazetteer of Oxford and Norfolk Counties. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Glenshee post office had revenue of $41.72 and salaries of $24; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Glenshee post office had revenue of $39.97 and salaries of $24.03 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Glenshee Post Office had revenue of $50 and salaries of $45. [GPS:46.088/28.938]
Goshen Road -- road
runs from junction at Highway 3 west through third concession of Middleton Township to
the town line of Elgin County's Bayham Township. Site of East Goshen
school house (S.S. 11 Middleton) and Goshen Cemetery. The 1877
Atlas of Norfolk says Goshen Road "runs through the fertile region known as Upper and Lower
Goshen, which was settled about 1835 by John McDonnell, Burgess Smith,
the Cowans, Stillwells, Mabees and Sandhams. The land in this area is mostly a clay
The Historical Atlas shows two school houses and one church on Goshen Road.
Gravelly Bay -- a small cut into the north side of Long Point.
Gaydonville -- described as
"five miles west of Delhi" in a wedding review on page 7 of the 30 Dec
1909 Simcoe Reformer. From the 1877
Atlas of Norfolk: "Two miles east of Courtland is the
village of Graydonville, a small village, deriving its name from Thomas
Graydon, who has a saw mill here, which was originally built by Munary
Johnson. Jas. Hillis kept hotel here for 30 years. It has one store."
Grove Union -- Where was Grove
Union? If you can assist, please email John
Cardiff. It seems to have been in Townsend Township, perhaps in the
Boston-Wilsonville area. Grove Union personals appeared in the May 1909
Grindstone (The) –- see Renton
Guysboro -- hamlet in Middleton Township on Lots 1 and 2. On west County border with Elgin County.
North and south of Talbot Road
(Regional Road 38). Post office opened there in 1856.Perhaps named by
Harvey family from Guysboro, Nova Scotia. The 8 Mar 1882 British
Canadian reported the Guysborough post office had revenue of $90.30
and salaries of $32; the 14 Mar 1888 British
Canadian newspaper reported the Guysboro post office had revenue of
$57.54 and salaries of $37 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912
Simcoe Reformer reported the Guysboro Post Office had revenue of
$106 and salaries of $86.. Was once the site of
Houghton S. S. 8 school house. Today the Orange Lodge hall built in 1904
is all that remains.