|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
|Tain -- Where
was Tain? The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer
reported the Tain post office had revenue of $24 and salaries of $45.
Talbot Road -- original name of Highway 3, runs through Norfolk and neighboring counties. Runs west to east, by Tillsonburg, through Courtland, Delhi, Simcoe, Rention and Jarvis, through Middleton, Walsingham and Townsend townships. Laid out by Colonel Thomas Talbot, secretary of Lt.-Governor John Graves Simcoe. Surveyed by Mahlon Burwell in 1811 for early settlers of Talbot’s settlement in Elgin County.
a village on Regional Road 25 north of Windham
Centre, in Windham Township on Lots 13 and 14, Concession 5. In 1855,
George Teeter purchased this land and built a saw and gist mill.
He laid out village in 1859. Post office established there in 1862. The
8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Teeterville post office
had revenue of $262.84 and salaries of $82; the
14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Teeterville
post office had revenue of $242.03 and salaries of $92.87 in the year
ending 30 Jun 1887.
The Bridges –- see Townsend Centre
Thoroughfare Point -- a sand spit stretching from Long Point in Walsingham Township into Long Point Bay.
Tillsonburg –- town primarily in Oxford County immediately west of Norfolk, straddles Oxford-Norfolk border. In Middleton Township, Lot 7, Concession 5. Called Tilsonburg (one L) for many years; also Tillsonburg Station. North of Talbot Road. Highway 3 used to pass through it, now runs south of town. 2004 population approximately 15,000 and growing.
Tinkertown Road -- local name given to road in Charlotteville Township. Between concessions 2 and 3 north of St. Williams. Named for tradesmen who lived there in late 1800s.
Townsend -- a village (bedroom community) in southeast Townsend Township on Lot 23, Concession 13, near village of Jarvis, Walpole Township, Haldimand County. A government planned community of the 1970s that fizzled [GPS:53.612/08.530]
Townsend Centre -- hamlet in Townsend Township on Lots 12 and 13, Concessions 8 and 9, east of Waterford; at intersection of Regional Roads 5 and 9. Named for its geographical location east to west in the township. Formerly called "Five Bridges" then "The Bridges." In pioneer times there were five bridges across Nanticoke Creek in the area. There are now two. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Townsend Centre post office had revenue of $61.79 and salaries of $18; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Townend Centre post office had revenue of $77.10 and salaries of $18 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Townsend Centre post office had revenue of $111.90 and salaries of $65. Once site of Townsend S. S. 15 school house [GPS:55.886/14.911]
Townsend Township -- northeast township of Norfolk County. North of Woodhouse, east of Windham, south of Brant County. Named for Thomas Townsend (who spelled his name "Townshend") who served with Wolfe in Battle of the Plains of Abraham, and was Secretary of State in British Government during 1790s when Norfolk County surveyed. Mentioned in 1793 settlement application of Pierce and Associates. Waterford was township seat. Communities include Boston, Wilsonville, and Hartford [on Norfolk County Communities Map]
Train Creek -- major stream, rises in Charlotteville Township, Lot 11, Concession 10, flows south and west to Big Creek in Walsingham Township.
Turkey Point Provincial Park -- Ontario Government camping facility on Regional Road 10 on the bluffs above Turkey Point.
Turkey Point -- village in Charlotteville Township, on Long Point
Bay, Lake Erie south of Highway 24 on Regional Road 10, southwest of
Simcoe. Named for abundance of wild turkeys that nested there. Settled by
Frederick and Levinah Mabee in 1793. Mabees turned land over to
provincial government for a naval establishment which wasn’t developed.
Land reserved until mid-1800s. Many Norfolk County residents built
cottages there. It continues to be a tourist resort and increasingly the
site of year-around homes [GPS:41.327/19.755]
Tyrrell -- hamlet in Townsend Township on Lots 12 and 13, Concession
12. On Regional Road 5 north of Renton. On Black Creek. Called Hopeville
until post office opened in 1860s. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian
reported the Tyrrell post office had revenue of $54.30 and salaries of
$28; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian
newspaper reported the Tyrrell post office had revenue of $42.73 and
salaries of $28 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer
reported the Tyrrell post office had revenue of $163 and salaries of $79.Once site of Townsend S.
S. 23 school house.