|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
-- hamlet in Windham Township, on Lot 2, Concession 7, at intersection
of Regional Roads 9 and 37, north of Delhi. Place name of famous shrine in
France. For decades home of major Catholic Church: Our Lady of La Salette. On official
Ontario road map. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the
La Salette post office had revenue of $76.12 and salaries of $18; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper
reported the La Salette post office had revenue of $149 and salaries of
$60 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer
reported the La Salette post office had revenue of $160.52 and salaries of
$86.94. Once site of Windham S.S. 8 school
-- on Norfolk County Communities Map
Lake Hunger -– see Hunger Lake
Lake Road -- local name for Regional Road 42 in Houghton Township. Runs along bluffs above Lake Erie from Walsingham Township to Bayham Township. Part of early migration route of pioneer settlers on their way west from Niagara.
Lakeshore Road -- a local name for Regional Road 42 west of Port Rowan in Walsingham Township. East of Port Rowan it is called Front Road. Built in the first decade of the 1800s.
Lakeside Cross (The) -- historic site on Brant Hill in Port Dover, marked by sign erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. On March 23, 1670, French explorers Dollier de Casson and de Galinee erected a cross near there with the arms of France and inscription claiming sovereignty over Lake Erie region for King Louis XIV of France. Canada was ceded by France to England in 1763. Black Creek Cairn nearby commemorates 1669-1670 wintering place of Dollier Galinee and his party.
Langton -- village in Walsingham Township, Lots 12 and 13,
Concessions 12 and 13, on Highway 59 north of Regional Road 1. Developed
in 1870s. Initially called Boughner’s Corners for David
W. Boughner family who lived there, then named for a Langton family in
England when post office established in 1862 by Henry J. Killmaster. The
8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Langton post office had
revenue of $322.05 and salaries of $128; the
14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Langton post
office had revenue of $436.55 and salaries of $160 in the year ending 30
Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer
reported the Langton post office had revenue of $462.48 and salaries of
$308.58. Today (2005), Langton is probably Norfolk's largest village, the
site of several businesses, two banks, two churches, elementary two
Little Creek -- small stream near east end of Long Point in Walsingham Township.
Little Otter Creek -- major stream, rises in two forks in Lot 26, Concession 1, North and South of Talbot Road Concessions in centre of Middleton Township, flows west to Bayham Township, Elgin County where it veres south to Lake Erie.
Lodersville -– see Waterford
Long Point -- narrow spit of land stretching south into Lake Erie from
west of Port Rowan to a point opposite the
Walsingham-Charlotteville town line. Accessed by Highway 59 west of Port
Rowan. East end of Long Point is government conservation area, west end
is tourist resort. In late 1700s and early 1800s Norfolk County was called "The Long Point Settlement" for this prominent
geographical feature. Much of Long Point owned by provincial government
until it sold everything west of the Old Cut to the Long Point Company
(which conserves environment and wildlife) in 1866. West end of Long Point
is hamlet of year-round residents and seasonal cottagers
Long Point Bay -- part of Lake Erie sheltered by Long Point. Inner bay is between neck of Long Point in Walsingham Township and Turkey Point in Charlotteville Township. Outer Bay runs from Turkey Point to Port Ryerse in Woodhouse Township.
Long Point Park -- 400-acre provincial camping facility on Long Point in Walsingham Township. West of Old Cut at end of public road. Established 1921.
Lower Side Road -- in Houghton Township, second road north of
Lake Erie, runs parallel to the lake from the first concession road of
Lynedoch -- hamlet sothwest of
Delhi, in Charlotteville Township,
on Lots 2 and 3, Concessions 11 and 12. On Regional Road 21 east of
Regional Road 16. Named for Baron Lynedoch who served under Wellington in
the War of 1812. Named Falkirk (after Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland) in
1853 when Patrick McMaster deeded land to Similda Mandeville. The 8 Mar
1882 British Canadian reported the Lynedoch post office had revenue
of $324.13 and salaries of $134; the 14 Mar
1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Lynedoch post office
had revenue of $387.51 and salaries of $140 in the year ending 30 Jun
1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer
reported the Lynedoch post office had revenue of $306.99 and salaries of
Lynn River -- major stream, rises in Windham Township northeast of Windham Centre flows southwest through Simcoe and Woodhouse Township to Lake Erie at Port Dover. Called Patterson’s Creek in 1790s and early 1800s. Named for River Lynn in Norfolk County, England.
Lynn Valley -- hamlet on Lynn River, in Woodhouse Township, Lot 4, Concession 3, southeast of Simcoe. On Lynn Valley Road, about three miles east of Highway 24. Originally known as Austin's Mills, circa 1835. The 8 Mar 1882 British Canadian reported the Lynn Valley post office had revenue of $60.72 and salaries of $18; the 14 Mar 1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Lynn Valley post office had revenue of $69.92 and salaries of $24 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe Reformer reported the Lynn Valley post office had revenue of $154 and salaries of $100. Once site of Woodhouse S. S. 3 school house.
Lynn Valley Road -- runs east from Highway 24 through the hamlet of Lynn Valley.
Lynnville -- hamlet northwest of Simcoe, in Windham Township on
Lots 6 and 7, Concessions 11 and 12. Previously called Woodpecker's Point.
Several concessions south of Vanessa.
Named after Lynn River. The 14 Mar
1888 British Canadian newspaper reported the Lynnville post office
had revenue of $102.75 and salaries of $50 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887.
Once site of Windham S. S. 3 school house. The 12 Dec 1912 Simcoe
Reformer reported the Lynnville post office had revenue of $92.50 and
salaries of $43. In 2002 a hamlet of a couple dozen homes. [GPS:53.115/21.985] Site of Lynnville Cemetery