|About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources | Back|
B C D
E F G
I J K
L M N
O P Q
R S T
U V W
X Y Z
|Dean's Hotel --on
northeast corner of Colborne and Peel streets in Simcoe, 2.5-storey frame
building, over 40 rooms including diningroom, kitchen, bar, sample room,
office, 11 bedrooms, stables for up to 200 horses. Sold at public auction
17 Nov 1894. Today site of a small strip mall.
Dedrickís Creek -- large stream, flows north to south through Lots 14 and 15, Concessions B, A, 1 and 2, Walsingham Township to mouth on Long Point Bay west of Port Rowan. During 1790s known as Murphyís Creek and earlier as Traderís Creek. Timothy Murphy, one of the first Norfolk pioneers, settled near mouth of creek. Murphy mentioned Traderís Creek in one of his land petitions.
Deer Creek -- small stream, rises in Walsingham Township north of Langton, flows south to Big Creek north of Walsingham Centre.
Delhi -- town straddling Middleton and Windham Township line, on
Highway 3 west of Simcoe. Founded by Frederick Sovereen as early as 1826.
Initially named of Sovereenís Corners, then Fredericksburg. In 1856, the
name of post office was changed to Delhi, probably for the capital of
India. (The older name faded slowly: it was still called Fredericksburg in 1877 Historical Atlas.)
Doanís Hollow -- was small community in Woodhouse Township on Lot
6, Concession 2, at intersection of St. Johnís Church Road (Regional
Road 3) and the Blue Line. Named for Elijah Doan, pioneer settler there.
Previously called Smokey Hollow and Pleasant Valley. Once site of
Doctor Inlet -- severing cut midway along Long Point between Snow Island and Courtwright Ridge.
Dogís Nest -- was very small community in Woodhouse Township on Lot 17, Concession 2 west of Port Dover at intersection of Highway 6 and Mill Road. Named for tavern established by William and Tamar Furlong about 1851, where a dog kept a nest under the front stoop for years. It was still marked by road signs in 1950s. No longer exists [GPS:48.320/09.828]
Dover Mills -- pre-1812 hamlet in Woodhouse Township. Sacked by American invaders during War of 1812. Community not re-built. Replaced by new community of Port Dover, established at the lake shore.
Duncanís Pond -- body of water near west end of Long Point.
a neighbourhood in Townsend Township on Lot 1,
Concession 8, on Highway 24 west of Waterford. Maybe named after the mansion of Sir Alan MacNab in Hamilton,
Ontario now known as Dundurn Park. No
longer exists [GPS:57.636/18.128] -- also
see Grove Union