| Preface |
| Groups | Places |
Articles | Back
Union/Central School, Simcoe
|"The contract for the building known as the Central School, was let to Messrs. J.
& G. Jackson, in 1858, and completed in 1859. The architects were
Messrs. Messer & Jones of Toronto. The cost of the school was $10,687.34.
was formally opened on August 31st, 1859, as a Union School for both the Grammar and
Common Schools. Considerable preparations were made for a public opening, as will be seen
from the fact that the Chief Superintendent of Education, Dr. Egerton Ryerson,
and two of the local judges were specially invited to attend.
"The amalgamation of
the Common Schools with the Grammar School had been discussed for some time before the
report of the County Superintendent.
"In 1885, two rooms were added to the building under the supervision of Mr. George Jackson. In 1894, the new High School was completed and the Union School was left entirely to the Public School. The attendance at the Public School continued to increase until the Board of Education decided to build the South School, a four-roomed building. This building was completed by Mr. Robert Gunton in 1917.
"The following is a list of the names of the Principals of the Union School-Common
(now Public) and the Grammar (now High): Mr. J. G. Mulholland till 1868;
Source: Simcoe and Norfolk County published by Pearce