Transcriptions | Preface | Essays | Individuals | Groups | Places | Articles | Back 

< Previous

3 Mini Views of circa 1879 Simcoe

Next >

First of three pics. "This was a view taken from the tower of the Court House, looking North.  Away in the distance the spire of the Old Mud Church points cheeringly the direction it would have the people look. The little square cottage situate across from the Court House was the printing office of The Norfolk Reformer."
[Photo assumed taken in the late 1860s.]
Second of three pictures "This is the old Union School photographed shortly after it was opened, from the Baptist Church corner.  Remarkable changes have taken place in that part of town."
[The Baptist Church corner is the corner of Talbot and Young Streets. Photo assumed taken in the late 1860s]
Third of three pictures "A view of the Railway Bridge that once crossed River Lynn at the foot of Argyle Street.  Built as an approach to what was to have been the station of the Woodstock and Lake Erie Ry.  The building across the river was Mr. Weston's tannery.  A favorite fishing hole in the old days."
[Photo assumed taken in the 1870s.]

Source: Simcoe and Norfolk County published by Pearce Publishing, 1924
(Out of print. Copy available for inspection at Norfolk Historical Society.)
Copyright 1997-2013 John Cardiff and Norfolk Historical Society