|"The above High School building was built in 1893, on ground where formerly the
residence of Mr. Edward Freeman stood. The beautiful lawn from the sidewalk to Mr.
Freeman's residence was always green in summer, and was used by Mr. Freeman's son,
'Bulldog,' and his schoolmates as a cricket ground. In 1894 the High School, then under
the principalship of Mr.
J. D. Christie, B.A., removed from the
old Union School, now called the Central
School, which up till then had housed both the Public and High Schools, into the new
building shown above. Mr. J. D. Christie remained principal until 1921, when the new
J. E. Skeele, was