||Daniel apprenticed in Peter Young's store in Vittoria, then opened his
own dry goods store in St. Williams. Daniel and his second cousin, Alexander McCall, married sisters Sarah and Ann McInnes.
The two couples were extremely close all of their lives. In 1867 Daniel built "the old McCall home"* in St. Williams,
shown in the 1877 Illustrated Atlas of Norfolk County.
Daniel subsequently went into the lumber business and the building
supplies business. He also built boats and manufactured furniture,
becoming the village's largest employer. Daniel sold his retail dry goods business
to John L. Buck, who subsequently sold
the business to Daniel's future son-in-law, John
F. Brock and his brother Frank
* Around the turn of the century, Ann's brother Dr. Andrew
McInnes also lived here.