Death in 86th year
removes reserved personality
-- Established first dental practice in Norfolk
-- Active in many walks of community life.
tribute was paid yesterday to the memory of one of Simcoe's oldest and
most beloved citizens, the late Arthur Wellesley Smith, who passed away
Sunday last in Alymer in his 84th year and who was laid to rest in
Oakwood Cemetery following a service at his former home here. Citizens
of all walks of life assembled to pay their final respects to a man who
filled a long and useful career in this community.
Rev. F. H. Wentworth, pastor of
Simcoe Baptist Church was in charge of the service which was under
Masonic auspiices. Rev. C. K. Masters, pastor of Trinity Church, also
took part in the service and made feeling references to the many fine
qualities of the late Dr. Smith as a man and a citizen of the community.
The deceased's roots were deeply embedded in the community, he
"His forefathers were among
the pioneer builders of this district and his career was one of
unselfish service. He was a gentle, kindly personality and the eminence
attained by his sons indicate the influence for good which he exercised
in the family circle."
Following the service at his
late residence, the remains were conveyed to Oakwood Cemetery for the
interment, where the Masonic Lodge rites were administered,
Wor. Bro. R. B. Kent, Master of Norfolk Lodge, presiding. The bearers
were Messrs. Chas. H. Martin, Chas. Misner, H. L. Selby, R. W. McCall,
J. H. Waddle and John Stalker.
The late Dr. A. W. Smith was a
native of Norfolk County and had lived in Simcoe about 53 years. Born in
Charlotteville township, on 25 Aug 1849, he was of United Empire
Loyalist stock, a grandson of "Uncle Billy" Smith, Norfolk's
first white settler, and on his mother's side a grandson of Rev. Eli
Chadwick who founded and conducted the Chadwick Academy a few miles
south of Vittoria.
After graduating from local
schools, he became a teacher for a short period and then went to
Waterford where he was articled to a dentist. In 1872 he moved to Cayuga
where he opened a dental office and began the practice which continued
for half a century.
the Royal College of Dental Surgeons came into being, he was one of the
first to try to examinations and was granted his certificate in 1874. He
came to Simcoe the following year and established the pioneer dental
practice in Norfolk County, continuing in active work until the year
1923. He was ambitious in his profession and introduced the first gold
crown and bridgework in this district.
he first came to Norfolk he bought a farm property known as
"Hillside," about two miles west of Simcoe where he introduced
small fruits and made a hobby of fancy poultry with which he took many
prizes at shows in Toronto, Hamilton and other cities. Afterwards he
sold the property and came to reside in Simcoe.
late Dr. Smith was identified with the Conservative party throughout his
lifetime and he was a prominent Mason, having been a member of Norfolk
Lodge No. 10 and of Ezra Chapter R.A.M. He was for many years a deacon
in Simcoe Baptist Church and teacher of the boys' class in Sunday
School. He served six terms as a member of the Simcoe Board of
In 1872 he
Hayne, who predeceased him by four years. In August 1922, they
celebrated their golden wedding. To them were born four sons, three of
whom survive: Dr.
Percy M. St. Clair Smith of Toronto, Leslie
V. Smith, well-known Toronto artist, and
Capt. Ralph Smith, who is now a missionary in India and who for
about two years served as editor of the Simcoe Reformer. The fourth son,
F. Smith, served as a collegiate institute teacher in Toronto until
failing health compelled him to retire to a farm near Simcoe where his
death occurred a few years later.
him also are two sisters, Mrs. W. E. Addis and Miss Ella Smith of
Aylmer, with whom he had resided for the past two years.