Transcriptions | Preface | Essays | Individuals | Groups | Places | Articles | Back 

< Previous

Windham Mills

Next >

Windham Mills. Large image, please wait...
"Windham Mills. -- Built by Wm. Sutton, in 1889. The site formed part of a grant by the Crown to Jane Davis, May 17, 1802.  The first mill on this site was built by Wm. Wilson, on land deeded to him by John Davis, Juy 27th, 1826. A distillery formed part of the building on the south. It remained in the Wilson family until 1881. Wm Sutton and D. W. Rose, in partnership, began to operate it in 1874. Wm. Hooker had been a tenant for a few years previous to that date. The mill burned in 1883.  But was rebuilt the same year. In 1879 Mr. Sutton retired from partnership and went to Waterford. He returned in 1880 and bought the mill from Mr. Rose, and has been in [his] possession ever since. A dam formerly existed above the present one, crossing from the site of the present ice house. A race ran from about this to the old saw mill on the east of Norfolk Street."

Source: Simcoe and Norfolk County published by Pearce Publishing, 1924
(Out of print. Copy available for inspection at Norfolk Historical Society.)
Copyright 1997-2013 John Cardiff and Norfolk Historical Society