Maps | Sketches
| Businesses | Essays | Back
|Middleton | Settlement | Fredericksburg | Courtland|
|Middleton was settled
about the time of the war of 1812. As will be gathered from the sketch
already given, the earliest settlers were Frederick Sovereen, Henry
Sovereen, Joseph Lawson and the Browns. Lot Tisdale settled at the Centre
in 1823. Gradually settlers began to take up the lots on the Talbot
Street, which was opened for traffic in 1824. Old settlers give an account
of the destruction of a great beaver dam which was near what is now called
Guysboro' on the Talbot Street. The country back from the Street was not
settled for many years aft the "Street" has been opened up. The
fertile district known as Upper and Lower Goshen was settled about 1835 by
John McDonnell, Burgess Smith, the Cowans, Stillwells, Mabees and
Sandhams. At the Centre Lot Tisdale was followed by the Perleys, Wm.
Reagh, the Nunns, Herrons, Buchners, Samuel Gillott, James Ronson, Robt.
Standen, the Coultmans and the Cohoes. Other settlers followed in large
numbers. The south part of the township was not settled until still later.
Southwest of Delhi is a German settlement, including about 80 families.
The first of these came in 1847. They are mostly from Wuttemberg in South
Germany, and are Protestants. They have a Lutheran church and a Methodist
church, and two schools. The early settlers were Geo. Beck and his father,
Leonard Demuth, John and Leonard Veit, Leonard Hansellman, John Gehring,
Henry Ryder, Michel Cole and others.
Since 1841 the Reeves have been
Roger Crysler, Jacob Sovereen and John Ostrander.
From pages 58 of the Mika re-print of
1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Norfolk County