Transcriptions | 1877 Atlas | Maps | Sketches | Businesses | Essays  | Back 
Middleton | Settlement | Fredericksburg | Courtland
This village is between 60 and 70 years old. The men who first settled in its immediate vicinty were Joseph Lawson, Frederick Sovereen, Henry Sovereen, and the Browns. Henry Sovereen is still living in the village. Jacob has devoted much of his life to the public welfare, having been in the Township Council 27 years, Reeve of Middleton 13 years, and Warden of the County of Norfolk three years, besides acting as Magistrate for over 20 years. He has also attained the rank of Captain in the militia. Frederick Sovereen kept a hotel for many years, what is now known as the Union Hotel; it was first licensed in 1834, and was kept for several years by Roger Crysler, who was well known throughout all Norfolk, and very highly esteemed on account of his natural abilities and his many virtues. Roger Crysler died about three years ago, leaving a numerous family. Mr. Stoddard, his son-in-law, now carries on the hotel.

Since the Canada Air Line Railway was built the prospects of the village have become brighter. A great deal of lumber, shingles, &c., is shipped here. The village now contains a population of 750.

Big Creek flows through the west part of the village, and affords excellent mill sites. From this the village extends east to the town line of Windham, and lies partly in that township. There are now in it 3 hotels, 6 stores, 3 cartridge factories and blacksmith shops, 1 English church, 1 Methodist church, 1 Baptist church, 1 school, 1 woolen factory and carding mill, 2 grist mills, 2 saw mills, 2 tanneries, 2 foundries, 2 tin and stove shops, 1 pump factory, 1 produce dealer, 2 dry goods stores, 2 physicians, 1 jeweller, 1 barber, 1 butcher, 1 billiard saloon, 1 Orange hall, 1 public hall, 1 Masonic hall, 2 conveyancers.

Fredericksburg received its name from Frederick Sovereen, who laid it out, but the post office is known by the name of Delhi.

From pages 58 of the Mika re-print of 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Norfolk County
Copyright 1997-2012 John Cardiff and Norfolk Historical Society

< Previous

Next >