Transcriptions | Preface | Essays | Individuals | Groups | Places | Articles | Back

< Previous

Norfolk County Court House & Gaol

Next >

County Court House. Large image, please wait...
"When fire, created by a defective chimney, destroyed the old frame Court House, on the morning of the 18th of March, 1863, no time was lost in preparing for the erection of the new and more elaborate structure.  On the 23rd day of July, 1863, Colonel William M. Wilson, County Warden, laid the corner-stone of the present building. Messrs. George and John Jackson, of Simcoe, were the contractors in charge. The Goal, which was built in 1848 was saved from destruction in 1863, by reason of the fire-wall protecting it."
[Compiler's Comment: a more current view of this structure is briefly featured in our online video of the town of Simcoe.]

Source: Simcoe and Norfolk County published by Pearce Publishing, 1924
(Out of print. Copy available for inspection at Norfolk Historical Society.)
Copyright 1997-2013 John Cardiff and Norfolk Historical Society