Transcriptions | 1877 Atlas | Maps | Sketches | Businesses | Essays  | Back 
Windham | Settlement  | Villages & Officers
The south-eastern part of Windham was settled at a very early period, more especially in the vicinity of what is now the village of Colborne. Here the Beemers, Culvers, Bowlbys and other, had settled at the close of the last century. Soon after this a settlement was established at Round Plains, but it was many years before the interior portion of the township was occupied.
The following list is believed to contain the names of most of the families that had located in Windham about fifty years ago -- say 1825.
2nd concession Winegarner and Smoke
3rd           " Oliver Edmunds, John Lake
4th          " Chas. Pettit (who died on the same farm a few weeks ago), Matthew Lowry, Geo. Edmunds, John Sumner, Chas. Malcolm,  ___ Raymond (on the site of what is now Teeterville), Wm. Hagerman, John Matthews, ___ Book (where Bookton stands), Samuel McCurdy, Wm. Marlatt, Mark Reavely 
5th          " Ephraim Searles, Henry Sovereen
6th          " John Robbins, Geo. Brown
7th          " Joseph and Philip Sovereen (at Round Plains), Jesse Munro
8th          " Jeremiah Green
9th          " John Cline, William Forse, ___ Vale, John Ogden, Jacob Powell, Samuel Wood, Caleb Wood
10th          " Jacob Langs, Abram Youngs, Ezra Powell, J. B. Culver, Abram Powell, Tice Trombly
11th          " John and Benjamin Culver, John McInally, John Robbins, David Hunter, Wm. Powell, Jonathan Axford, Fred Sovereen, ___ Budd
12th          " Philip Vastbinder, Gabriel Culver (and other Culvers), Martin Millard, John Horning
13th          " Philip Force, Wm. Dell, Wm. Ferguson, Martin Boughner, John Winans, Peter Boughner
14th          " John Kirkpatrick, John Davis, James Derrickson, Joseph Wilson, Robert Waddel, Jas. Richardson, Benjamin Whitehead, John Mills, John Pettit, John Butler (near the school house known as Log Salem), Joseph Lawson

During the last five years of the last half century, the course of settlement has flowed steadily on. In 1817 there were but 48 houses and 293 inhabitants. In 1850 the population had increased to 2716.

In the south-west part of the township is a large tract, settled mainly by Roman Catholics from Germany and Ireland. They came in first about 1846. Joseph Dirtinger and Michael McDonald were the earliest settlers. Here is a church (and a separate school) in charge of Rev. Father Jas. Japes, who has also a church in Simcoe. He is the only Catholic priest in Norfolk, and his charge includes about 206 families.

From page 59 of the Mika re-print of 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Norfolk County
Copyright 1997-2012 John Cardiff and Norfolk Historical Society

< Previous

Next >