Canadian Parliament sat in 1792. The first election of which we have
any account was held in 1800, at Avery's Mills (Waterford). Thomas
Welsh acting as returning officer. Hon. David W. Smith and
Richard Cockerel were the candidates. Mr. Smith was elected and
became Speaker of the House. The next election was held in 1805 at
Turkey Point, when B. Mallory ran against Col.
Samuel Ryerse, and defeated him. After 1820, Francis
L. Walsh, and Ed. R. Nichol represented the County, also Duncan
McCall, Dr. Baldwin, Capt. McNellidge, Dr. Charles Duncombe, and Dr. John
Rolph, who vacated his seat in 1838. He was followed by Wm. Salmon
(afterwards Judge of the County). Israel Powell (1841-1848), Hon. H.
J. Boulton. In 1850, Hon. John Rolph was again elected, and again in
1854, defeating James W. Ritchie. The next representative was Walker
Powell, who opposed Thomas W. Walsh
in 1858. In 1861 Aquila Walsh
was elected and continued to represent the County until Confederation,
when he was elected by the North Riding as its representative in the
Dominion House of Commons, the member for the South Riding being Peter
Lawson. These gentlemen continued to represent the County until
1872, when they were succeeded by John
Charlton for the North Riding, and William
Wallace for the South Riding.
In the Local Legislature the
North Riding was first represented by James Wilson of Townsend, and then
by Dr. John F. Clarke, who was
re-elected in 1876. The North Riding was first represented by Simpson
McCall of Vittoria (1867-1875). It is at present represented by
R. Richardson of Port Rowan.