Transcriptions | 1877 Atlas | Maps | Sketches | Businesses | Essays  | Back 
Charlotteville | Lynedoch  | Settlement
This township lies upon the shore of Long Point Bay, having Woodhouse Gore to the east, Windham and Middleton on the north, and Walsingham on the west. It has several large streams running through it, the principal of which are Young's Creek on the south east, Kent's Creek on the northeast, and a portion of Big Creek on the northwest. The peninsula of Turkey Point stands in a southwesterly direction from about the centre of the south boundary. The soil is chiefly a sandy loam, with tracts of clay loam. Towards the south there is a tract of several square miles where nothing but "blow sand" is found.

In 1817 the population amounted to about 9oo, the number of houses to 130. In 1850 the population had increased to 2,498, and there were  3 grist and 7 saw mills, 3 carding mills, 1 tannery. The produce of 1849 was 33,700 bushels of wheat.

Charlotteville has been in days past a fine field for the lumberman. Even yet there are some fine groves of pine, and some excellent hardwood.

The villages are numerous. Vittoria is the largest, and was a place of much importance even 60 years ago. Up to the year of 1820 the courts of the London district were held at Turkey Point, but from 1816 until 1827 they were held at Vittoria. The courthouse at this place was a fine structure and cost $9,000. Building operations in those days were costly. In 1827 the offices were removed to London. The registry office was also at Vittoria for many years, when it was removed to Simcoe.

At present Vittoria is a very pleasant village, with a remarkably large proportion of valuable and elegant private residences. It contains a large number of excellent general stores and shops of various kinds, and is a natural business centre. It has 2 Baptist churches, 1 Church of England, 1 Presbyterian church, 1 town hall, and a good brick school-house.

From pages 60-61 of the Mika re-print of 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Norfolk County
Copyright 1997-2012 John Cardiff and Norfolk Historical Society

< Previous

Next >