|Simcoe's North School, 1949-50|
Last updated: 03 Apr 2017
|Intro | Thumbnails | Individuals | About the photo | Students Names | Bios | Back|
The original source photo is the property of 1950 North School student Ron Abbey of Simcoe, who appears in the picture. Ron lent us his photo to scan. Ron also provided the nucleus of our student identifications. Other identifications, provided by other site visitors, are credited on the appropriate web pages.
We appreciate the efforts
of all who have identified students, but identifications should be
considered tentative until confirmed.
The original print measures approximately 8 inches by 10 inches. There are 32 people (students and staff) in the picture.
The photographer was Harold B. Stewart (1911-2004) located at the time at 24 Robinson Street, Simcoe. Harold was Simcoe's leading photographer circa 1950-1970. An archive of his work was donated to the Norfolk Historical Society shortly after his death.
Students in this photo were presumably born circa 1935-1937. They remember WWII veterans returning home, doctors making house calls, and horse-drawn home milk delivery. They witnessed the introduction of television, air conditioning, rock and roll music, jet aircraft, suburbs, satellites, and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
For the last four decades of the
1800s and the first three decades of the last century, Simcoe elementary
school students attended "Union
School" later called "Central School" at the top
(west end) of Young Street. During the depression, two new elementary
schools were built, one in the North Ward, then one in the South Ward.
Central School was demolished to make way for the American Can
plant which was coming to town. North School and South School were in
turn closed in 2000 and eventually torn down, joining Union School in