Etc. -- George A. Curtis' 1920 obituary and funeral (2 articles)<blockquote>
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back 
An lightly edited transcription of a page 1 article in the 1 Apr 1920 issue of the Simcoe Reformer

The Passing of G. A. Curtis

Mr. George A. Curtis died at his home, Norfolk Street south, about 9 o'clock Tuesday evening after a brief illness.

He had apparently recovered from the indisposition of last summer, which necessitated the disposing of his grocery business, which he had successfully conducted for over 40 years.

His sudden collapse was reported around town on Tuesday, but the announcement of his death came as a great shock to his many friends.

He leaves a wife, and two sons, Leigh of Dauphin, Manitoba, and George at home; two brothers, Frank E., barrister of Simcoe, and Harcourt of Montreal.

As a youth he was an athlete. He early identified himself with the old 39th Regiment and rose to the rank of major. In politics he was a Conservative of the old school; in religion an Anglican, and a member of Trinity Church, in which he held many responsible positions.

He also served at the council board and for some time was county auditor. He was a member of Norfolk Lodge No. 10, A. F. and A. M., and was also an Oddfellow.

The funeral arrangements are being held pending the arrival of his son Leigh from the West and will be announced later.

From page 1 of the 8 Apr 1920 Simcoe Reformer newspaper.

The funeral of the late George A. Curtis, who died on Tuesday evening, 30 Mar 1920, was held on Sunday, 
4 Apr 1920, from his late residence, Norfolk Street South, to Trinity church for service, thence to Oakwood Cemetery for interment.

The services were in charge of Rev. A. B. Farney. 
The pallbearers were ex-Mayor A. T. Sihler, 
Hugh P. Innes, K.C., Norman Counter, E. H. Jackson, 
W. C. J. King and W. Y. Wallace.

Mr. and Mrs. Leigh Curtis and six-year-old son, who left Dauphin, Manitoba last week with the expectation of being present at the funeral of the former's father, were unable to get through on time owing to a storm blockade at Winnipeg.

They arrived in Simcoe on the last car Sunday night. Mr. Curtis informs the Reformer that owing to pressure of business, they are compelled to leave for the west again on Saturday morning.

G. A. Curtis

Also see:
his profile

Copyright 2017 John Cardiff