Etc. -- L. G. Morgan's tragic end: news report
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back 

A lightly edited transcription of a page 1 article published in the 22 Jan 1920 Simcoe Reformer. 

Tragic Ending of Life
of L. G. Morgan

Port Dover Editor Burned to Death
Two Sisters Had Narrow Escape

(From our own Correspondent)

Sunday afternoon the persistent jangling of phone bells of the local system and the fire alarm bell called our residents to the home of L. G. Morgan, from which, as soon as a window was broken and a door opened, poured out such dense volumes of smoke that it was found almost impossible to locate the fire, which was later found to be in Mr. Morgan's bedroom.

As soon as the fire had been overcome somewhat his lifeless and burned body was found lying on the bed and removed to another room.

While the fire was being fought, Mr. Morgan's two sisters were found, one being upstairs, unable to locate the stairs so that she might descend, and brought outside the residence almost overcome by the smoke which they had inhaled.

The late Mr. Morgan began teaching in Shand's schoolhouse 55 years ago, and was one of the happy throng which foregathered at that spot last September when the annual re-union of "Aunt" Dolly Smith's pupils was held.

Later he taught in the Port Dover High School. Increasing deafness caused him to relinquish his chosen profession and he entered journalism, becoming the editor and proprietor of the Port Dover Maple Leaf some 38 years ago.

Being generally conceded to be one of the best masters of English in Canada, his editorials in that paper were a pleasure to read.

In addition to the two sisters already mentioned, deceased leaves one brother, Crosbie, of this village to regret his demise.

The funeral (private) took place from his late residence Tuesday afternoon of this week.

It is now known that the fire was caused by a coal oil heater over which Mr. Morgan threw an overcoat to smother the flames and called to his sister for assistance.

Finding it impossible to gain entrance to the room, she ran outdoors and gave the alarm, after which we returned and again endeavored to gain entrance to the room.

From his position on the bed it is deduced that the deceased was suffocated and, falling on the bed, became burned after death had taken place.

The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved on in their hour of bereavement.

The two chemical engines did good work and prevented the fire from spreading beyond the bedroom, of which even the door and the outside door casing were reduced to charcoal.

Mr. Morgan's two sisters are now thought to be out of danger, though they are still suffering considerably from the effects of the smoke which they inhaled.

Copyright 2017 John Cardiff