Norfolk County's oldest
resident, William John Kerrigan, who resided three miles southeast of
Langton, passed away Friday morning at his home following two months
illness. He was in his 106th year, having marking his 105th birthday on
11 Jul last year.
Born in [Kathintiltish] Scotland,
he decided to come to America to make his fortune when he was 14 years
of age. He landed at New York and after a few months he came to Canada.
For more than a year he worked
at a foundry at Dundas and then came to Norfolk County and started to
work for pioneer families in the Langton district. By the time he
reached 30 years of age he had saved enough that he purchased the farm
on which he died. The farm was [.... ......] and comprised about 199
acres. The late Mr Kerrigan farmed all his life [..... ..... ........
... ........ .... .... ..... .. ..... .......... ......].
For many years the only road by
the farm from Lngton was a wagon trail and it was not for many years
after he brought the farm that the present concession road was opened.
Despite his advanced years, Mr.
Kerrigan had a remarkable memory and could recall many historical facts
regarding Norfolk County. He was wel; acquainted with William
Mercer Wilson who was the first County Judge whom he knew personally and
who later became the First Grand Master of Masonic Lodge in Canada in
He also could recall the
construction of the South Norfolk Railway from Simcoe to Port Rowan in
the late 1880's, which resulted in Walsingham Township being divided
into two townships, North Walsingham and South Walsingham, when
residents in the north did not feel they should pay part of any subsidy
by the township to the railway.
Until he became ill two months
ago, Mr. Kerrigan enjoyed comparatively good health and though he was
slightly hard of hearing, he could read newspaper headlines without the
aid of glasses.
Many years ago he married Jane
McKillen who passed away in 1901. He is survived by one son, Percy, who
resided with him.
The funeral service was held on
Saturday from Carholme United Church with interment in Carholme United