After a severe illness, borne
with Christian fortitude, James Jamieson passed away on 7 Jun 1920 at the
home of his son, Edmon Jamieson.
Deceased was born in Scotland in
1838 and came to Canada in 1852. He started to clear a farm in 1862 in
the woods along the Woodhouse Township road, now known as Broadway.
Largely through his efforts a
school (No. 9 Woodhouse) was started near his farm, of which he was the
He gave 17 years' faithful
service in the Woodhouse council as councillor, deputy-reeve or reeve.
He was also a member of the county council when the new system of
representation came into effect.
He was among those who started
the Black Creek cheese factory, now the Black Creek Creamery, and was
auditor of the accounts for that important industry for 35 years, till
failing health compelled him to relinquish the position at the beginning
of the year.
Some years ago Mr. Jamieson gave
up farming and removed to Port Dover to enjoy a well-earned rest.
Mrs. Jamieson predeceased him
seven years ago. Their children are: Alexander and Mrs. John Davis of
Woodhouse Township, Edmon of Port Dover, and Peter of Chicago.
Interment was made in Port Dover
Cemetery, six nephews acting as pall bearers. Rev. H. J. Johnson, rector
of St. Paul's Anglican Church, of which deceased was a staunch member,
conducted the services.
In politics, deceased was a
Known in Woodhouse and this
village for so many decades and respected for his sterling qualities,
the passing of James Jamieson is regretted by many who will miss his