Etc. -- Ira O. A. Beemer's 1919 death
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back 

A lightly edited page 1 article from the 31 Jul 1919 Simcoe Reformer.

Killed on Metcalfe Street Crossing

A fatal accident occurred at the south end of the Metcalfe Street railway crossing on Thursday afternoon, 24 Jul 1919 about 4 o'clock, when Ira O. A. Beemer, a brakeman on the G.T.R., received injuries from which he succumbed about two hour later.

At the time of the accident the train crew was making a shunt to release three cars, and the unfortunate young man was uncoupling the cars when his heel caught between the rail and the planking of the crossing, throwing him in such a position that the wheels passed over her right leg and left arm, which were terribly mangled.

He was hurried to the residence of his father-in-law, Mr. Liston Kirkwood on Patterson Street, where Drs. McGilvery, Bowlby and Toll did all in their power to save the young man's life. Their united efforts proved of no avail, the injuries and shock received being too much for human endurance and he passed away shortly before 6 o'clock.

The parents, Mr. and Mrs. Orson Beemer, who reside near Renton, were promptly notified of the accident and immediately left by motor for Simcoe, arriving just after their son breathed his last.

The jury was empaneled in Coroner McGilvery's office at 6 o'clock as follows: Henry Crabb -- foreman, John Haseley, 
John Borland, J. B. Cline, Harry Little, Norman Coates, and H. T. McCready.

After viewing the remains at the home of Mr. Kirkwood, an adjournment was made to meet again in the town hall, Friday, 1 Aug 1919.

Deceased was in the 24th year of his age and was a young man of sterling qualities. He had been in the employ of the G.T.R. since last September, and with his family came to Simcoe on Tuesday 15 Jul 1919 from their home in Stratford to relieve on the South Norfolk for six weeks and reported for duty on Thursday evening, 17 Jul 1919.

The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the families concerned in their sudden bereavement.

Besides a sorrowing widow (formerly Miss Margaret Kirkwood) and two little children, Kinloch, a baby boy seven months old, and a bright little chap, Liston, 2 years old, there are left to mourn his loss his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Orson Beemer of Townsend, a sister, Mrs. Charles Duncan of Port Rowan, and a brother, William of Villa Nova.

The funeral, which was largely attended, took place from the residence of Mr. Liston Kirkwood, on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, under the auspices of the I.O.O.F. to Oakwood Cemetery.

The service at the home was conducted by Rev. Duncan E. Foster, B.A., of St. Paul's Church, Simcoe, assisted by Rev. J. T. Cavers of Mount Zion. The last sad obsequies at the graveside were in charge of Noble Grand Tom Cowley and Walter Cole, Chaplain.

The pallbearers were Walter Forse, 
George Shay, Norman Coates, George Wood, Howard Stegmeir and Augustus Jaques.

The floral tributes were from:
wife and sons, 
father, mother, brother and sister, 
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Robinson, 
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Maxwell,
Mr. and Mrs. William Robinson, 
Mr. and Mrs. K. Norris, 
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Christie, 
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Duncan, 
the Ladies' Aid of St. Paul's Church, 
the I.O.O.F. and 
a wreath from the employees of the G.T.R.

Ira O. A. Beemer
(Image from Microfilm)

Copyright 2016 John Cardiff