Etc. -- William Randall Jr. lost and found (3 articles)
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back 

A lightly edited transcription of a page 1 article in the 27 Oct 1910 issue of the Simcoe Reformer.

Lost in New Ontario Forest

Mr. Wm. Randall, a farmer living in Charlotteville, heard yesterday that his elder son, William Jr., was lost in the woods near the town of Charlton, New Ontario.

Last Saturday morning, the young man, aged 23 years, went out shooting with a party of friends, got separated from them, and has not been heard of since.

A younger son of Mr. Randall, John, left for Charlton this morning, to help in the search for his brother.

Wm. Randall has for the past two years been working for Mr. James Ryckman in the northern town.

Writing from Charlton, the Globe's correspondent stated that on Monday he was preparing to go with a party of 29 men to search for the lost young man.

The manager of the Government road had also arranged to have 10 men meet the party on the way up to assist in the search.

The whole district is exercised over the occurrence and it is feared that the missing man met with some accident.

Later: A party returned on Tuesday evening from Kushog Lake, after an unsuccessful search and a much larger party continued the search yesterday.

A lightly edited transcription of a page 7 article in the 3 Nov 1910 issue of the Simcoe Reformer.

Wandered in Woods for 
Four Nights and Five Days

Lost the major part of a week, one foot frozen, nothing to eat but tobacco and winter-green, wet to the skin twice by falling into rivers, and endless wandering in wet and snowy weather. Such is the tale in brief of the recent experiences of William Randall Jr. of Charlotteville, who had gone out shooting and got separated from his companions.

On Saturday morning, 22 Oct 1910, he left camp, having a .303 rifle and 19 cartridges. He shot at a moose and missed him, and started to pursue the animal without noticing where he was going. and as night came on he could not find his way back.

That night he fired all his cartridges in signals and so his rifle was of no further use to him.

He slept out that night, and on rising the next morning found his clothing was frozen stiff.

His only food was the tobacco he had carried with him and winter-green leaves. Although he did not feel much hunger after this, he steadily grew weaker.

He kept on his travels, always seeking to find his way back to his starting point. Day after day this was practically the whole of his existence, a perpetual search for an outlet from the wilderness in which he was lost.

Tuesday night was one of severe cold and henceforth he had to drag his right leg, now useless. Again and again he fell down, only to struggle to his feet to continue his weary way.

At last, on Wednesday, he got back to the neighborhood of his start, and crawled into a cabin, where he was found.

Medical help was procured, and it was found that his foot could be saved, although 12 hours more would have meant its amputation.

A transcription of a page 7 item from the 10 Nov 1910 issue of the Simcoe Reformer.

A despatch from Charloton says that Wm. Randall who experienced such hardships when lost in the forest, had to undergo an operation removing the frost-bitten toes of one foot.

Copyright 2016-2017 John Cardiff