C. Murdoch passes
away in 58th year
For many years
prominent in the mercantile and educational life of Simcoe and a
citizen highly esteemed by a wide circle of friends, Grover C.
Murdoch passed away at his home here on Friday morning, 5 Apr
in his 58th year.
He had not enjoyed good
health for the past few years but had been active until a
fortnight ago when stricken by a recurrence of his former
illness, resulting fatally.
Though not a native of
Norfolk, the late Grover Murdoch had spent the greater portion of
his life in this county
and contributed in many ways to the
furtherance of community welfare and progress.
Born in Perth, Lanark
County, 29 Aug 1882, he was a son of the late Rev. Andrew Murdoch
and Henrietta Hayward. His father was for several years pastor of
Waterford Baptist Church.
Spending his boyhood years
in Waterford, Grover Murdoch received his early education in the
public and high schools of that village.
After one year at McMaster
University, Toronto, he entered the School of Dentistry at
Buffalo, N.Y., from which he graduated, afterwards practicing his
profession for several years in Jamestown, N.Y.
Coming to Simcoe in 1909,
he took over direction of the former Sovereen Store, which had
been established by Leamon G. Sovereen, pioneer Simcoe business
man, and later carried on by his son, S. M. Sovereen. The shop was
operated by G. C. Murdoch Co. until 1925, when the business was
sold to the Walker Stores.
During his active business
career in Simcoe, the late Grover Murdoch was prominently
identified with many community organizations.
He served for about 10
years as a member of the Simcoe Board of Education, of which he
was Chairman in 1921-22. During his tenure of office the Simcoe
schools system made noteworthy strides, including the building of
the South Public School and acquisition of the property where North Public
School new stands.
He had a leading role in
the establishment of the Norfolk General Hospital, being a member
of the original committee and one of the most active workers in the
campaign to raise funds. He was one of the original members of the
Board of Governors of that institution.
He was also a member of
the High School Committee in connection with the erection of the
Norfolk Soldiers' War Memorial.
He was an adherent of Trinity Anglican Church. He was also a charter member of the Simcoe
Rotary Club. In numerous other phases of community life he established himself as a useful and valued citizen of Simcoe.
During the past 15 years,
the late Mr. Murdoch had spent the greater part of his time in
Toronto. He organized a syndicate which built three large aparemt
houses in that city, over which he had supervision.
Following his illness he
returned to Simcoe to take up residence with his family here.
The late Grover Murdoch
was an ardent sportsman and lover of the outdoor life. Trout
fishing was his chief hobby. He lso gave active support to Simcoe
hockey teams and other athletic bodies.
Besides his widow, who was
formerly Lena J. Sovereen, he leaves two sons, Grover M. and Paul,
two brothers, John of Woodhouse and Andrew of Oshawa, and two
sisters, Mrs. P. Geo. Pearce of Waterford and
Mrs. J. Hazen of Tillsonburg.
The funeral is being held
this afternoon, with service at his late residence, 94 Norfolk
Street North, at 2.30 o'clock and interment in Oakwood Cemetery.