Etc. -- Letter re Samuel Morris' WWI wound
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back 

A lightly edited partial transcription of the Port Dover column on page 4 of the 13 Dec 1917 issue of  Simcoe Reformer newspaper.

Some weeks ago we quoted the optimistic letter of Pte Samuel Morris, late of the 133rd, Norfolk Battalion, in which he gave the opinion, based on the reports of the doctors, that though he would always be lame, his foot would be saved. However, the following letter to Mrs. George Steele states that complications arose which necessitated an amputation. [Compiler's Comment: 
the following letter was written by Sam's father.

15 Tachbrook Road,
Feltham, Middlesex

Dear Mrs. Steele, -- We received your letter this morning for which we thank you. Early in October Sam was wounded in action -- three bullets from a German machine gun passed through his left foot, causing a bad fracture

The doctors tried all that was possible to save his foot for several weeks. They removed him to a second hospital, but on 2 Nov it was found necessary to amputate his leg at the knee, prior to which he suffered much pain. Soon afterward that ceased. He continued there till a few days ago.

Yesterday we received an official letter stating that he has been removed on the 20th inst., and had arrived at the General Military Hospital, Edmonton, London, No. 10. This morning we received a letter from Sam, written by a friend, another patient, telling us he was at Edmonton, and we could see him any day, at any time, so his Mother has gone. It is almost 24 miles from Feltham by railway to Norfh London.

We were sorry they had to take his leg off so high up. By his letter today he seems quite satisfied. If my wife is home in time that I may add how she found him, I will do so; mail leaves here today for Canada.

I am sorry to tell you that our dear son Archie was killed in action 24 Oct in Belgium. He and a comrade were in their dugout when a heavy shell fell nearby, the concussion of which killed both instantly. The officers of his company buried him on the battlefield the same day and put up a white cross theron marking all particulars upon it.

I had posted a letter to him that day. I also received our last letter from him that day, which he had written 21 Oct. He was one of our best sons -- often coming home on short leave when at Hampshire, and writing letters to us each week.

The officers and men of his company kindly sent us a letter of sympathy and Capt. Milne sent us a very kind letter also. He seemed beloved by all. We are very sorry to have lost him.

Sam and Archie were both gassed, from which they both recovered.. We expect Same was wounded 8 Oct; of the date we shall hear later. With our best wished to you.

Alfred T. Morris.

7:30pm. -- Mrs. Morris has just returned from seeing Sam at Edmonton Hospital. He is very ill -- helpless -- in bed.  So glad to see his mother and Miss Elsie Reynolds, and very pleased that had received a letter from you, and sends you his respects.

It was not the German machine gun which wounded Sam, but one of our own machine guns, by mistaken order. How sad! 

We will write to you later on -- now in great haste to catch the mail.

Sorry he cannot sleep. He suffers much pain in his wounded leg and also in his right leg. He is ver think and ill. Mother told him today of Archie's death, which much upset him, of course. He knew nothing of it before. Archie received no wound -- no mark whatsoever.



Copyright 2014 John Cardiff