Etc. -- Thomas A. Merritt's 1900 obituary
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back 

A lightly edited transcription of a page 1 article in the 19 Apr 1900 issue of the Waterford Star.



Thomas A. Merritt, aged 17 years of this place, was run over by No. 37, M.C.R express at St. Thomas on Saturday night about 8.30 o'clock and had both legs taken off. He died about 11 o'clock.

Tom left here on Saturday night to visit his uncle, Jesse Brazier of St. Thomas. He was found by a switchman who went to turn a switch.

His body was lying on one side of the rail and the severed legs on the other side. Tom asked the switchman if he would please tell him what was the matter with him. The man told Tom he was severely injured.

Tom then told his name and where he was from, but would not state how the accident occurred. It is supposed that he jumped off the train while it going at a good speed and struck the switch, which knocked him back under the train. The trains at the point where he was killed run at a rate of about 25 miles an hour.

Both legs were cut off above the knees and his hip was bruised and head cut. His condition when he reached the hospital was such that the physicians attempted no operation.

He remained conscious until just before his death, but did not appear to be able to remember anything. All he could tell was his name and where he lived.

A message was received on Saturday night of the sad news. His uncle, Thomas D. Merritt, took the first express to St. Thomas, but arrived too late to see him alive.

The remains were brought to this place on Monday afternoon and were met at the station by nearly all the members of the public school, who feel much grieved at the sudden and sad death of one of their number.

Mrs. Pook of London, Tom's mother, was telegraphed for and arrived here on Monday, accompanied by her husband. It was indeed a terrible shock for her and one which she feels very keenly, he being her only son.

Tom has made his home in this place with his grandmother, Mrs. Brazier, and his uncle, T. D. Merritt.

He was a bright boy and well liked by his schoolmates, was a regular attendant at the Baptist Sunday School and seemed to take a very active interest in the work.

The funeral was held from the residence of his uncle on Tuesday afternoon. The services were conducted in the Baptist church by Rev. Dr. Murdoch, assisted by Rev. Chas. Deacon, Ph.B., the church being crowded.

The members of the Waterford Public School marched in a body. It was a service never to be forgotten by the young people of this place, the accident having befallen one so young and a friend to all. 

Many beautiful flowers were placed upon the casket, among them a wreath and anchor by the pupils of the Public School. 

The interment took place at Greenwood Cemetery.

Copyright 2016 John Cardiff