John H. Hughson of Brookings, S.D., the subject of this sketch, was
born near Waterford, Norfolk County, Ontario.
His parents were James and
Mary Hughson, natives of Scotland, who came to America in 1840 and
settled at Boston, where his father followed his trade of stone
mason. He died in 1850 leaving a family of five children, of whom
John Henry was the only survivor.
Upon the death of his
parents he began life on his own responsibility as a farm laborer
with Mr. Aaron Culver at Tyrrell. At the age of 21 he moved to
Michigan and from there to South Dakota in 1874.
He encountered great
difficulties but [succeeded] in amassing a goodly portion of this
world's goods by farming, thoroughbred stock raising, and the
culture of fruit and ornamental trees, of which the latter was his
Mr. Hughson died 20 Mar
1908, of pneumonia, after only five days illness. He is survived by
a widow and two sons. He was a faithful member of the Methodist
church, and in politics a staunch Republican.
The funeral services were
conducted by his pastor, assisted by the other clergyman of
Brookings, after which the cortège wended its way to the cemetery
escorted by the members of the A. F. & A. M., [and] the A. O. U.
W., of which he was a valued member.