Death of Mr.
The death occurred on
Saturday last of Mr. Thomas Henry, one of the oldest residents of
Though not unexpected, the event was nonetheless sad.
Mr. Henry had been poorly for
some time and had on two or three occasions rallied from a serious
illness. His death was caused from a complication of troubles.
He had an operation performed
on his side some nine years ago and had been troubled ever since. He
had also been a great sufferer from kidney disease and rheumatism.
Some of the facts in
connection with his history, and successful though modest and
unassuming career, may be mentioned and will be of interest to the
very large circle of friends in this and other sections by whom the
deceased and his family circle have been held in the highest
Mr. Henry was born in the
township of Pislinch, Wellington County, in the year 1831. At the
age of 19 he joined the Free Will Baptist church in Waterloo
township, and was baptized by Elder Wm. Henry, his uncle. He came to
Waterford in 1856, shortly after he was married.
After coming here he united
with the Free Will Baptist church, which is now Trinity church. He
was a prime mover in the erection of the church and also contributed
very literally to the Bloomsburg and Round Plains churches.
Mr. Henry had a brick yard
after he first came here, then he ran a temperance hotel and livery
stable, afterwards a bakery, and for the last 12 years had been
engaged in the lumber business.
Mr. Henry was one of those
men whom a country may justly feel proud to recognize as a truly
representative citizen. In modest and unassuming attention to his
business, in unswerving integrity and loyalty to the country and his
Maker, he stood out among the residents of this section as a worthy
The hospitality of his home
were extended to all comers in a free-hearted manner which betokened
his character, and which was evinced by the kindly and liberal
manner in which he contributed to the support of churches, and to
the needs of the poor. He never refused to assist a worthy person or
He leaves to mourn their loss
a widow, four sons and two daughters: James, Judson and Dufferin of
this place, Lewis of Chicago, and Mrs. Geo. Doughty of this place
and Mrs. W. L. Wilson of Brantford.
With the esteemed lady who
shared his life's experiences, and the family who survive him, are
the warmest sympathies of a large circle of friends, the respect
surrounding them and the friend that has joined the majority,
finding expression on the occasion of the funeral held Tuesday
afternoon in the Baptist church by an usually large gathering of
friends and neighbors to pay the last tokens of regard.
Rev. Chas. Deacon, Ph.B.,
assisted by Revs. W. H. Haviland and F. C. Elliott, conducted the
services, after which the interment took place in Greenwood