Delhi Vindicator --
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Eli VanLoon was the scene of an unusually
interesting event, Thursday afternoon, 26 Sep 1901, the occasion
being a double wedding.
Their daughter, Miss Thera
Lewella, was united in marriage to Mr. George Burns Haviland of
Windham, and Miss Glennie Pearl Haviland was united in the holy
bonds of matrimony to Mr. Aaron Lorenzo Saul of Atherton.
The wedding ceremonies
were performed by Elder Haviland of Waterford (uncle of two of the
contracting parties) in the presence of about 50 relatives and
The brides looked very
pretty in dainty gowns of white India dimity, trimmed with
Valenciennes lace, insertion and ribbon, and carried white roses.
The bridesmaid, Miss Edith
VanLoon of Buffalo, made a handsome appearance in a gown of white
tucked lawn and insertion, with trimmings of pink ribbons, and
carried pink carnations.
Mr. Glandford Haviland of
Michigan ably assisted the groomsmen. Mr. E. L. Wilson of Vittoria
played the wedding march.
The brides' travelling
dresses were grey caistor cloth and steel blue ladies cloth with
silk trimmings, respectively, and they wore grey velvet hats.
After the ceremony the
guests adjourned to the dining room which was profusely decorated
with flowers, where a sumptuous wedding dinner was served.
The brides were the
recipients of many beautiful presents.
The bridal party left on
the 7.20 Wabash for London, Detroit and other western
Mr. and Mrs. Haviland and
Mr. and Mrs. Saul are held in high esteem by the people of Delhi
and vicinity, and we join their many friends in wishing them
happiness and prosperity.