Residents of Waterford were shocked to learn of the tragic death on
Sunday of Frank Gibson in South Carolina, where he visiting the
Souhern Gold Mine.
After being down in the
mine, he told the men when he came up, that he would write and tell
his wife about the trip before retiring.
He was stricken with a heart
attack while writing and in some manner the building caught fire. He
perished in the flames although he was taken from the building
before it was completely destroyed.
Mr. Gibson, who was a
chemist by profession, was born at Seaham Harbor, England, 56 years
ago. He came with Mrs. Gibson to Canada in 1913 and was employed by
the T. Eaton Co. of Toronto.
He joined the C.A.M.C. in
1915 and served overseas during the war, being discharged in Sep
He again was employed by the
T. Easton Company until 1911 [sic] when he moved to
Waterford. He was in charge of the office at the Sand and Gravel Co.
for several years and had recently been in the employ of the Penman
Frank took an interest in
many activities of the town. He was at one time secretary of the
Board of Trade, past president of the local S.E.,S.L. branch and was
intrusted with the task of taking the village census in 1931.
Besides his widow, who
before her marriage was
Emley Bateson, he leaves two sisters,
Mrs. A. H. Lyack of Warwick, England, and
Mrs. MacDonaugh of Wimbledon, England.
The funeral was held in
Trinity church 21 Apr 1937,
under the auspices of the Canadian Legion,
conducted by his rector, Rev. T. H. Inns.
In addition to music by the
Mrs. Eric Wright sang a solo. Interment was made in
the soldiers' plot in Greenwood cemetery, Last Post
being sounded by Gordon Jackson of Simcoe.
The pallbearers were:
Messrs. A. Atkinson, C. Hemsley, R. W. Wharton, Lomas [sic],
Sid Farmer, H. O. Squire.