Simcoe Ont., 2 Apr 1900 --
Early Sunday morning a fatal accident occurred at Lynn Valley, about
two miles from here.
Mr. Richard Fry, generally
known as George Fry, got up and lit the kitchen fire and then went
out to do the chores. Upon returning he noticed the kitchen chimney
on fire, and at once went to work trying to subdue the flames.
They proved too much for him
and his daughter seeing this, tried to persuade him to desist. He
refused, and fought the flames for some time longer when he found it
useless to do any more.
He then ran upstairs to
secure what money, insurance papers and other valuables he could,
but whether he ever reached them will never be known. He was found
after the fire in the middle of the room with arms, legs and head
all severed and nothing but a charred trunk remaining.
The deceased was about 68
years of age and a native of Sussex, England. The only other
occupants of the house were his daughter, Miss Annie Fry, and his
brother-in-law, Mr. Ades.
There was some small
insurance on the house, but the amount could not be learned.
Everything is a total wreck.