Etc. -- George F. Collings' 1919 obituaries
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back 

A lightly edited transcription of a page 1 article in the 16 Jan 1919 Waterford Star newspaper.

Died at Kenora

Mr. George F. Collings, son of Mr. John Collings of this place, died at Kenora on Tuesday, 7 Jan 1919 after two weeks illness with the flu and pneumonia.

The message received by his father and sister came as a shock to them as they did not know he was sick.

George was an engineer on the C.P.R. and had lived in the West about 16 years. 

He was a member of the Y.M.C.A., the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and was a Mason and an Odd Fellow.

The remains were accompanied here by Messrs. A. G. Stevenson, G. W. McLean and J. Hutchinson, all of whom were railway men and members of the Masonic order.

He had many friends in this place whom he often visited when he came back from the West.

His friends from Kenora speak of him in the highest terms.

The funeral was held from the home of his father on Sunday afternoon, Rev. H. Caldwell conducting the service.

The members of Wilson Lodge, No. 113, A.F. & A.M., also conducted the Masonic services.

All the members of the family were present. They were Mr. & Mrs. J. E. Collings and 
Miss Muriel Collings of Chicago, 
Mrs. & Mrs. W. R. Pratt and 
Mr. & Mrs. H. Kraft of Toledo, 
Mr. & Mrs. G. M. Collings and 
Mr. & Mrs. A. S. Mills of Hamilton, 
Mr. & Mrs. F. C. Henderson of Port Dover.

A lightly edited partial transcription of the Waterford column on page7 of the 16 Jan 1919 Simcoe Reformer newspaper.

The remains of the late Geo. Collings, aged 40 years, arrived here from Kenora on Saturday, about noon.

The body was accompanied by three Bro. Masons, Messrs. Stevenson, Hutchinson and McLean, of Pennonga Lodge No. 44, A.F. & A.M. of Kenora, of which the deceased was only a young member, but highly respected and beloved by his brathren [sic].

The news of the death of the late Mr. Collings came as a very sudden blow to his father and brothers and sisters, for not one of them knew that he had been ill.

It appears that he had an attack of influenza from which he had recovered as he thought and had resumed his duties as an engineer on the C.P.R. He had just returned from his second run after his illness, and had just entered the Y.M.C.A. where he boarded, when he dropped dead without a struggle.

He leaves to mourn their sad loss an aged father and five sisters, Mrs. W. R. Pratt and Mrs. H. Kraft of Todelo, Mrs. A. Mills of Hamilton, Mrs. F. C. Henderson of Port Dover, all of whom with their husbands attended the funeral, and Miss Collings at home, and two brothers, 
John of Chicago and Mack of Hamilton, who with their wives, also attended the funeral.

To these the sincere sympathy of a wide circle of friends is extended.

At the request of the Worshipful Master of Prquonga Lodge, and of the father of the deceased, the officers of Wilson lodge, Waterford, assisted by Rev. H. Caldwell, conducted the funeral services on Saturday at 2 p.m. The pall bearers were three brethren from Kenora and Brother Geo. Reynolds, Geo. Woodley and Will T. Brewer. Interment at Greenwood cemetery.


Copyright 2014-2016 John Cardiff