Etc. -- William Joseph Clarke's 1917 obituary
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back

A transcription of a page 1 article in the 26 Jul 1917 Simcoe Reformer newspaper.

W. J. Clarke of Port Arthur dies suddenly

The Fort William Daily Times Journal, a copy of which has been sent to this office, contains particulars of the sudden death of a former resident of Simcoe, still well remembered by many people here.

According to the account in the Fort William paper, Mr. W. J. Clarke, one of the pioneers of Port Arthur, was found dead in bed on Saturday, 14 Jul 1917, in his room in the Campbell block. When found he was lying in bed, fully dressed with the exception of his coat, his face buried in the pillow.

At midnight Dr. Crozier was called in to  see Mr. Clarke as he complained of feeling unwell, and after attending to him, advised him to go to bed, saying he would all right in the morning. 

In the morning a soldier who has a room in the same block found him lying dead in bed.

William Joseph Clarke was 68 years of age, and had been a resident of Port Arthur for 44 years.

He was a pioneer druggist at the head of the lakes, and built the block at the corner of Arthur and Cumberland Streets, where the Royal Bank now is.

Some years ago he disassociated himself from the drug business and lived semi-privately, but lately he had been connected with the Witts Drug Company, and was working in the store at 9;30 Friday evening, apparently being in his usual state of health. He was seen purchasing a newspaper at one of the local stores as late as 11 o'clock, and several citizens spoke to him.

The late Mr. Clarke's wife pre-deceased him some eight years, being before marriage, Miss Lily Louisa Mitchell, sister of R. E. Mitchell, J.P., division court clerk of Port Arthur.

Mr. Clarke is survived by three sons and one daughter, Gerold of Saskatoon, Jack who is overseas with a local battalion, Arthur  who resides in Port Arthur, and 
Mrs. Wall (Gladys) of Vancouver.

Mrs. W. W. Birdsall of Fort William and 
Mrs. W. M. English of Hamilton are sisters. 
John Clarke of Hebert Street Port Arthur is a brother. 
Two other brothers died years ago.

Mr. Clarke was the eldest son of the late 
Dr. John Fitzgerald Clarke, and was born in Simcoe. 
The family moved to Port Arthur in the early 1870s, when Dr. Clarke was appointed Sheriff of Thunder Bay District.

The late W. J. Clarke was a past-master of Shuniah Lodge A. F. and A. M., and was deeply interested educational matters. For 17 years without a break was a member of the Port Arthur Public School Board. He was a member 
of the public school committee almost all that time.

The funeral was conducted by the Masonic fraternity.

Copyright 2014-2015 John Cardiff