The late William Laing, the
subject of this brief memorial sketch was born in Hamilton Plains in 1844,
and died at his home in Charlotteville, Nov. 6th, 1910. For some
years after his birth his parents continued to live at Hamilton Mills,
later removing to the Township of Middleton, settling near Delhi.
In 1868, he married Hannah M.
Derrickson, the second daughter of the late James Derrickson, and in 1870
he bought his home in Charlotteville, four miles west of town.
In politics Mr. Laing was a
staunch Liberal, and for two years was a member of the township Council.
He was a member of the Simcoe Baptist Church, joining the communion in
1875. He was also connected with Court Simcoe, No. 68, Canadian Order of
Foresters, a number of the lodge acting as pallbearers.
He was a kind and loving husband
and father, and leaves to mourn his loss, a sorrowing widow, one son and
three daughters, George F. Laing of Walsh, Mrs. James A. Lowe of Port
Dover, Mrs. Wallace W. Walsh of Simcoe, and Miss Eva Maude Laing at
home. A brother, John Laing of Oakville, and a sister, Mrs. McCurdy of
Brantford, are also survivors.