Dr. A. C. Duncombe
died at his home in this place on Saturday last. He had been in poor
health for several years and for the past two or three years has been
blind. The end came practically as a result of old age, he being 89. Few
have been better known in North Norfolk than Dr. Duncombe.
He was a son of the late Dr.
David Duncombe, one of the pioneers of Norfolk, who came to Townsend in
1826 and practiced medicine for nearly half a century. The Duncombe
family came to Canada from Pennsylvania over a century ago and were
descendants of Sir Charles Duncombe, who came from England to America in
The passing of Dr. Duncombe
removes from our midst another of our oldest and most prominent
residents and a man who has been identified with the business interests
of Waterford since incorporation. He also leaves hosts of friends who
received kind administrations from him during their hours of sickness
He was twice married and besides
his widow he leaves one son,
Mr. T. D. Duncombe, and one daughter
F. S. Marlatt, to mourn their loss.
The members of the family of the
late Dr. David Duncombe were:
Mrs. Joseph Nelles, Mrs. John Wallace, Mrs. Wm. Bowlby, Dr. A. O.
David T. Duncombe, E. E. Duncombe,
Mrs. Nelson Clark, Mrs. Lyman
Dr. Charles and Tyrrell.
Dr. Duncombe was born in
Waterford in 1837. After leaving school here he was educated at Upper
Canada College where he received his medical degree. He started to
practice in Boston, about 60 years ago, and after remaining there three
or four years came to Waterford and opened an office and was extended a
good practice up until a few years ago when ill health prevented him
About 50 years ago he
purchased the flour mill from Mr. Thos. W. Clark and also conducted a saw mill and large lumber mill for years. In his younger days he took
an active interest in municipal affairs, was a member of the Townsend
Council and also Reeve before Waterford was incorporated.
The funeral, which was held on
Tuesday afternoon, was largely attended by relatives and friends. The
service was conducted by the pastor of the deceased,
Rev. J. D.
McLachlan, B.A., assisted by Revs. J. B. More and H. Wilkins.
took place in Greenwood.