A real estate deal that has interest for many persons living outside
the immediate neighborhood of Lynedoch is the purchase recently made
by Mr. James A. Reid of "Twins Oaks," the former residence
of the late Hon. John Charlton.
"Twin Oaks" was
built some 60 years ago by Mr. Charlton, who was the son of Adam
Charlton of Newcastle-on-Tyne, England. The latter and his family came
to New York State, and on February 2, 1829, John Charlton was born at
Wheatland, N.Y. Later the family removed to Canada about 1849, and
settled near Ayr. In 1853 John Charlton came to Lynedoch and opened a
store on Big Creek. His partner was Mr. George Gray, whose daughter
Ella became the first Mrs. Charlton.
In 1859 he went into the
lumber business, first as a member of the staff of Smith and Westover,
and later for himself. Mr. Charlton was elected a member of the House
of Commons in 1872 as representative for North Norfolk in the interest
of the Liberal party. He continued to fill this position until 1904.
He erected "Twin
Oaks" between 1872 and 1879. In 1905 Mrs. Charlton died, and some
years after he married Cora Owen, daughter of Anson Owen. Six years
after his retirement from active political life, on February 11, 1910,
Mr. Charlton died at his home. His widow continued to live in the
house for some time, afterwards removing to Delhi. Of late years the
fine old place has been occurpied only occasionally by tenants.
Mr. Reid has sold the east
half of the lot and part of the house to Leslie Greenland, who will
move his part to the lot and there make a home for himself and family,