Etc. -- Chambers and Miller married in 1899
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back

A transcription of a page 2 article from 3 Nov 1943 Simcoe Reformer. 

Simcoe Couple 44 Years Wed

Well-known residents of Simcoe, Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Chambers are quieting marking their 44th wedding anniversary today at their home, John Street. No celebration is being held to mark the occasion but the esteemed couple are in receipt of sincere congratulations and best wishes from their many friends. Both are in excellent health at the present and look forward to many more anniversaries.

Mrs. Chambers is the former Agnes Miller, and was born in Newburgh, N.Y., on Independence Day, July 4th, more than 70 years ago, the daughter of the late Anthony Miller and Amella Roberts, the later being formerly of Waterford. Her father died shortly afterwards and she was brought to Canada when she was six months of age, remaining here until she was nine.

Returning to the United States, where she received the greater part of her education, she remained there until she was 19, afterwards coming back to Canada, but paying frequent visits of varying length to the United States. At the time of her marriage to Stephen Chambers, 1 Nov 1899, Mrs. Chambers was living in Simcoe. Survivors of her family are three half-brothers and one half-sister, James Thomas of Cedar Springs, Jess Thomas of Chatham, Bert Thomas of New Haven, Mich., and Mrs. Carrie Marlatt of Blenheim.

The groom of more than four decades ago is the son of the late James Chambers and Caroline Viviane of Windham Township, his mother being formerly of Oakland. Mr. Chambers has no near relatives living.

Mr. and Mrs. Chambers were married in Waterford at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Uptegrove, the officiating minister being Rev. Charles Deacon of Waterford Methodist Church. It is interesting to note that their attendants, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Evans, the latter of whom was then Eliza Shaw, are still living in Simcoe.

For a number of years Mr. and Mrs. Chambers lived on their farm west of Round Plains in Windham Township, removing to Simcoe in 1913. Mr. Chambers entered the employ of the Norfolk Milling Company, at that time conducted by the Edgeworths of Teeterville, where he remained for 16 years. His health suffering from the effects of the milling industry, 13 years ago he carried on a feed and flour business in the Patterson block for eight years, and for the past five years at his home on John Street.

Mr. and Mrs. Chambers are widely known and to them the Reformer adds its felicitations to those received by them from countless friends and relatives.

Copyright 2013 John Cardiff