Etc. -- W. J. Carpenter's 60th wedding anniversary
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back

An abbreviated edited transcription of a page 1 article from 4 Jan 1941 Simcoe Reformer
(Head and shoulder protraits of Mr. and Mrs. Carparter accompany the source article.)

Lakeside Pair 60 years wed

Port Dover: Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Carpenter, Main street, observed their diamond wedding anniversary quietly at their home on Sunday, January 5th. 

A family dinner party was held in honor of the occasion on the proceeding Sunday, when four of their children were present, John B. Carpenter of Grand Rapids, Mich., Mrs. Wynatt Williams of Albany, N.Y., Dr. Theodore and Mrs. Carpenter of Weston, Mrs. N. J. Bicknell and children, Katherine and Jack of Detroit, Mich. Eldest son Luther J. Carpenter of Bay City, Mich., was unable to be present.

[Compiler's Comment: paragraph re flowers and gifts omitted]

Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter were married in North East, Pennsylvania, on 5 Jan 1881, Rev. H. N. Cornish of North East Baptist church officiating. The attendants were Mrs. Elizabeth Ensign Morrison, a life-long friend of the bride, and Mr. A. B. Morrison.

Mrs. Carpenter was formerly Miss Nancy C. Cochrane [sic] of North East, Penn. Mr. Carpenter was born in Norfolk County on what has been recently known as the Culver Model Farm, the son of Mr. and Mrs. John B. Carpenter. He spent his entire life practically in this district, as a boy attending the Simcoe schools and later graduating from Victoria College, Toronto, with a B.A. degree. Today he is the oldest living graduate of the college.

Of the large family of 11 children, Mr. Carpenter and one sister, Mrs. Richard Orchard, Toronto, are the only surviving members. Mr. Carpenter will be 93 years old on 19 Feb 1941.

For 45 years he followed his chosen profession of farming, on the land now occupied by Mr. R. Whiteside, No. 24 Highway, on what was then known as the Gravel Road, in the days when a toll gate guarded the turn from Port Dover Main street to the Gravel Road. 

Of the farmers of that long past day, not one is left on the old road who was there when Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter came, the only familiar name being that of Duncan, where Geo. Duncan's fruit farms have succeeded the William Duncan farm.

Copyright 2013-2015 John Cardiff