lingerie illness which was borne with rare patience and fortitude,
Charles E. Boyd, one of Simcoe's oldest and best-known residents,
passed away on Saturday afternoon last at his home, 109 Talbot street
north, in his 67th year.
as he was familiarly known to a host of friends, was born in Simcoe,
the son of John Boyd and Frances Tisdale, and nephew of the late
David Tisdale. After graduating from Simcoe schools, he became
apprenticed to the hardware firm of Gordon and Ellis.
In 1887 he
married Maria Theresa Southworth of Bay City and established his home
in Norwich, where he conducted a hardware store until 1894. After a
short sojourn in Sault Ste. Marie during the summer of that year, he
returned to Simcoe where he opened a hardware business where the local
branch of the Royal Bank is now located. In 1903 he purchased the
business of A. D. Ellis and Company, the firm with which he had
apprenticed, and later bought the property which was located near the
corner of Norfolk and Robinson streets. For nearly twenty years Mr.
Boyd kept this store and by virtue of his genial personality and a
reputation for fair dealing he built up a flourishing business with
patrons not only in Simcoe but throughout Norfolk County. He retired
about nine years ago.
retirement, he continued to take an active interest in affairs of the
community and his familiar figure will be sadly missed. He was an
ardent sportsman and had always been a faithful supporter of clean
athletics in the town of Simcoe. He was at one time a member of the
municipal council and was a member of Nor-folk Lodge No. 10 A. F.
& A. M. He was predeceased by his wife in 1924. One son, Dr.
Julian S. Boyd and one brother, J. Craigie Boyd, both of Simcoe,
from his residence on Monday afternoon was largely attended and the
profusion of beautiful floral tributes were silent tokens of the
sorrow felt as his passing. Rev. C. K. Masters officiated at the
service and the bearers were Jonathan Porter, P. R. Kendall, M. M.
Smith, Thos. Dredge, D. F. Aiken and Frank Stevenson. Interment was
made at Oakwood Cemetery.