Etc. -- 1949 Profile of Dr. John A. Bannister
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back

An edited transcript of an article on page 1 of 11 Apr 1949 Simcoe Reformer newspaper. 


One of Norfolk's outstanding sons and a noted educationalist and authority on local history, 
Dr. John Arthur Bannister of Port Dover, was elected president of the Norfolk Historical Society at the annual meeting of that organization on 7 Apr 1949, succeeding Dr. Ralph E. Smith of Simcoe.

Born in Woodhouse Township on 31 May 1875, Dr. Bannister is a son of William Bannister and Eliza Cruickshank. He was educated at S.S. No. 7, Woodhouse and at Port Dover Public and High Schools and Simcoe Model School. He entered the teaching profession in Norfolk County, teaching first at Elmwood School, Charlotteville Township. Later he taught for a while at Nanicoke.

He then attended Queen's University where he graduated in 1898 as Bachelor of Arts, with Specialist standing in Classics. After attending Ontario Normal College at Hamilton, he taught for some years in Wallaceburg, Mattawa, Blenhelm, and Caledonia. Later he spent three years in educational work in Chicago, Upon his return to Canada, he was successively principal of Campbellford Public School, Classical Master of Cobourg Collegiate Institute and Principal of Chesley High School.

Dr. Bannister was appointed Inspector of Public Schools for Temiskaming District in 1917, an inspectorate 400 miles long with 170 teachers. He became English Master at North Bay Normal School in 1920. He received the degree of Doctor of Pedagogy from the University of Toronto in 1926. Appointed principal of Peterborough Normal School in 1929, he continued in that position until 1943, when he retired and returned to Port Dover.

Dr. Bannister is the author of "Early Educational History of Norfolk County" and of a Manual for the Teaching of Composition, prepared for the Ontario Department of Education. He is a frequent contributor to newspapers and magazines. He is a mem-ber of the Ontario Historical Society and until his retirement he was a member of the Peterborough Rotary Club and of the Council of Queen's University. His hobbies are Nature Study, wood and metal work, fishing and local history.

Copyright 2013-2015 John Cardiff