Etc. -- Fred Nelles Strohm died 1919
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back
The following is a page 5 item in the 27 Mar 1919 Waterford Star

Mr. Fred Strohm died at the Muskoka Sanitarium 
on Tuesday. The remains will be brought home for interment at Wilsonville on Friday at 2 p.m. 
He was a member of the 133rd.


A lightly edited partial transcription of the Waterford column on page 9 of the Thursday 3 Apr 1919 Simcoe Reformer newspaper.


The remains of the late Corporal Fred Strohm of 
D company of the 133rd Battalion, arrived here on Wednesday evening from Guelph sanitorium and 
were conveyed to his home at Wilsonville.
The deceased went overseas with the 133rd and was invalided home about a year ago.

The funeral took place from his late  residence on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock. A very impressive 
service was held in the Wilsonville Methodist church, conducted by Rev. Mr. Rogers of Oakland.
Eight of the G.W.V.A. of Waterford attended the funeral, and the following of them were pall bearers: 
Jas. Johnson, J. O'Connor, Sergt. T. Telfer, 
J. W. Moulding and G. McCarey.

Among the floral tributes was a beautiful wreath from the Waterford returned soldiers. The coffin was wrapped in the flag which N.C.O.'s of D company donated to Trinity church before the battalion went overseas.

A sad incident in connection with the demise of the late Corporal Fred Strohm is that both his father and his sister, Mrs. Noble, are very ill.


A lightly edited transcription of the Wilsonville column on page 1 of the Thursday 3 Apr 1919 Waterford Star newspaper.


Corp. Frederick Strohm Dead. -- Corp. Fred. Strohm enlisted with the 133rd Battalion in the early months 
of the war and soon went overseas.

Fred was fortunate to stand the actual test of battles repeatedly, and lived to witness the marvellous victory in which the Canadian soldiers fought an important part, displaying their gallant deeds and bravery.

In the meantime, Fred fell a victim of the ruthless enemy, but lived to return to his beloved family and home. Sickness continued and finally death relieved his sufferings.

The funeral took place on Friday last, and was largely attended. The preaching service was conducted by 
Rev. Mr. Rogers, his text in Deut. 31, 14. 

This being a military funeral, the pastor's address was typical, and spoke in high esteem of the deceased. His brief remarks of condolence to the immediate relatives were of an eternal triumphant character, and also spoke with impress to the eight compassionate comrades of the deceased. It seemed as though the flowers so beautiful sent forth perfume of patriotism.

Fred's eight comrades, all of Co. D. of the 133rd battalion, who marched up and down the deadly roads of machine-gun and shell fire in France, once more marched so reverently, this time on either side of the deceased, down the quiet road in Wilsonville cemetery bearing him to his grave. This will be recorded a distinguished grave of a Canadian hero down through the ages.

The gallant men in military attire were Sergt. L. Lefler, Ptes. J. Moulding, G. McCarey, C. Holmes, 
J. O'Connor, J. Johnson and were in command of Sergt. J. Walters and Pte. J. Lefler.

Relatives from elsewhere: 
Mr. and Mrs. D. G. Thompson, Mrs. Drake, G. Drake and M. Drake, Mr. and Mrs. T. D. Nelles and 
Miss H. Marshall of Lockport, N.Y.;
Mr. J. Metcalfe of Middleport, N.Y.;
Mrs. Wm. Wilson, Miss Leta and Glynn Wilson of 
La Salle, N.Y.; Mr. H. Drake of Niagara Falls, N.Y.;
Mr. Albert Noble of Toronto.

Sympathy embraced with consolation of triumph goes out to the bereaved family.



Also see Fred's Attestation Paper: side 1 | side 2.

Copyright 2016 John Cardiff