Etc. -- George Sherlock's 1919 obituary
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back
A lightly edited transcription of an article on page 1 of the 
6 Mar 1919 Simcoe Reformer.

Sad Death of Returned Soldier

One more of Simcoe's heroic soldiers has laid down his life, not on the field of battle in conflict, but in an ineffectual struggle with disease. 

Private George Sherlock, barely more than a week after his return home from overseas service died from pneumonia.

The story is a sad one. Arriving home on Thursday, 
20 Feb 1919, on Saturday he became ill, the disease involving both lungs. He was removed to the military hospital in Hamilton on Tuesday, and three days later, on Friday, 29 Feb 1919, he passed away.

The body was brought to his home on King street Friday evening and arrangements were made for a military funeral. He is the second soldier accorded that honor here during the war, the first being Capt. Hilton Paulin.

The cortege left the home of Private Sherlock on Monday afternoon at 2.30, and proceeded to Trinity church. The firing squad, with arms reverted, in charge of Sergt. Tees, was followed by the band, under the leadership of former Warrant-Officer John Sutton. Then came the gun carriage bearing the coffin, covered with the Union Jack, and drawn by a number of mates of the dead soldier. 

The bearers, three on each side of the carriage, were returned men: Albert Wakeford, Wm. VanBrocklin, Wellington Hocking, Richardson Weir, George Culver and Simeon Buckle, all having been members of the 133rd battalion.

A number of other returned men marched behind the carriage. About 30 high school cadets brought up the rear of the procession. Colonel Aiken was officer in charge, and Lieut. Edward [...oad] also attended.

Rev. A. B. Farney was the officiating clergyman at Trinity church and the grave. The church was crowded to the doors by those who were anxious to pay their last respects to the dead soldier. Many who were unable to find room inside were grouped about the church and the square adjacent.

Private Sherlock leaves a widow, and three sons, the oldest six years of age, and twins of three years, who were born shortly before their father left for overseas. Mrs. Woodey of Simcoe is a sister. Their mother lives in the old country.

Deceased, who was in his 33rd year, was gassed twice and wounded in France, and also had a serious illness from pneumonia.

Friends who had talked with him in the brief interval between his homecoming and his illness relate that he was overjoyed to be back home again.

The bereaved family has the sincerest sympathy of the townspeople in this sorrow, which seems doubly sad coming so close on the return of the soldier who had lived through pain and privations abroad, and had returned to enjoy a life of peace.

The floral tributes were as follows: Wreaths from the G.W.V.A., Ladies Auxiliary of Simcoe, C.O.C.F. No. 289, Mr. an Mrs. R. Lambe; crosses: Mrs. Sherlock and Women's Institute, St. Williams; sprays from Private Sherlock's little boys, Signaler and Mrs. Layland, 
Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Holmes and Miles Holmes, 
Mrs. Woodey and family, Mrs. Lister.


From page 5 of the 26 Feb 1920 issue of Simcoe Reformer:

In loving memory of Private George Sherlock, who returned from overseas 20 Feb 1919, died 28 Feb 1919.

He did not die in Flanders Fields where comrades lie
He returned to us all, but just to say good-bye.
                                                         Wife and Children



See George's Attestation paper: side 1 | side 2 

Pte. George Sherlock

Copyright 2013-2017 John Cardiff