Etc. -- Wesley Gurr died of wounds, 1919
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back
The following transcription is of a page 1 article in the 17 Aug 1916 
issue of the Simcoe Reformer. [Some paragraph breaks inserted by 
the transcriber]


Pte. Wesley Gurr, who has been in the trenches for a year, has been reported as wounded. He left Simcoe in May, 1915, and was drafted with reinforcements for the first Canadian contingent in June of the same year, arriving in France the next month.

Twelve other Simcoe men were included in the bunch, among whom were Pte. Jack Cook, killed a few weeks 
ago. Ptes. [Ashford], [Coates], [Bradley]. [Heath] and [Tukner], the last named being invalided home after seven [.......] spent in hospital.

Pte. Gurr is perhaps 21 years of age and during his absence his mother has died.

The following is a lightly edited transcription of a page 1 article in 
the 7 Sep 1916 issue of the Simcoe Reformer.


Mr. Thomas Gurr received a short note from his son, Private Wesley Gurr, a few days ago. 

Pte. Gurr was reported wounded a few weeks ago and although well on the road to recovery was not yet able to write for himself, so the letter was written by one of the nurses, who adds the following reassurance of the care he is receiving in the hospital:

My Dear Sir, -- I am adding a line on my own account to let you know that your son has been very ill and is still not quite himself.

He wished to write to you, but was too tired to even dictate a letter, so I wrote the foregoing and asked him if that was what he wanted to say, and he said "Sure."

The injury to his head brought him very near death, but he is getting much better and he sleeps and eats well and is quite happy and content.

He has a very sweet smile when we talk or the other boys are amusing him, and we are very fond of him.

You may rest assured he will be well looked after and he is at present under a very clever surgeon. Of course we cannot hope to keep him very long as we have to send on our men to be treated in England as soon as it is wise for them to travel. I hope and pray his recovery may be complete; he is a fine chap.

Yours faithfully,
A. M. L. Wilson

The following is a lightly edited partial transcription of the Items of local interest column on page 12 of the 30 Oct 1919 Simcoe Reformer.

The remains of Wesley Gurr were brought to Simcoe from Toronto last Thursday and the funeral on Saturday to Oakwood Cemetery was conducted by the local G.W.V.A. [Great War Veterans Association] with full military honours.

Despite the unfavorable weather there was a large turnout of the veterans.

The young soldier enlisted in the early part of 1915 and trained here during the winter and spring under the late Major R. L. Dugit. 

[He] was drafted from Camp Niagara with a half dozen other soldiers as part of reinforcements for the Fourth Battalion.

He was invalided home about two years ago, suffering from a severe shrapnel wound in the head, for which he had been undergoing treatment in a Toronto hospital.

Since his return from overseas he married Miss Howarth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Howarth [of] Agricultural Street.

Also see Wesley's Attestation paper: side 1 | side 2

Wesley Mark Gurr

Also see:
More on Wesley Gurr
his photo,
his medals,
his birth family,
his WWI Journal.

Copyright 2013-2017 John Cardiff