Etc. -- Port Ryerse Memorial Churchyard Cemetery
Introduction | Source Documents | Other Sources | Photocopies | Back
 

Port Ryerse Memorial Churchyard Cemetery (above). Lieut.-Colonel Samuel Ryerse, his wife, and others -- including American casualties of the War of 1812 -- are buried here, behind the church shown below. This cemetery is no longer in use. See enlargement of cemetery photo
Photo taken 2 May 2008 by site contributor Thomas A. Ryerson
 

Port Ryerse Memorial Church (above) was established 1870 (according to a small sign on its front exterior). Community founder Lieut.-Colonel Samuel Ryerse, his wife, and others -- including American casualties of the War of 1812 -- are buried behind this Anglican church. A Historical Plaque stands on the far (north) side of this church in this photo. The church is still in use and has been modified several times over its 130 year history. Over a quarter century ago a basement was added that doubles as community centre.
Photo taken 2 Apr 2002 by John Cardiff
 

"Lieut.-Col. Samuel Ryerse 1752-1812 -- A United Empire Loyalist Ryerse was commissioned in the 4th New Jersey Volunteers during the American Revolution, following which he took refuge in New Brunswick. In 1794 he came to Upper Canada and the following year received 3000 acres of land in Woodhouse and Charlotteville townships. Settling at the mouth of Young's Creek he erected a grist-mill around which grew the community of Port Ryerse. As Lieutenant of the County of Norfolk and chairman of the Court of Quarter Sessions, he took an important part in the early military and civil administration of this area."
"Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Board."
Photo taken and sign transcribed 2 Apr 2002 by John Cardiff 
 
Copyright 2002-
2016 Thomas A. Ryerson and John Cardiff