Norfolk Video Clips 
Introduction | Bayview Cemetery | Back
Bayview Cemetery Video Commentary
by John Cardiff

Bayview Cemetery [GPS:36.750/27.505], 127 Front Road (formerly 127 Regional Road 42), just west of Port Rowan. Immediately west of the Bird Studies of Canada observatory, it ia on the south side of the road. On the east bank of the mouth of Dedrick's Creek, east of the intersection with Dedrick Road,  in historic South Walsingham township.

Long Point settler Lucas Dedrick had already established his pioneer farm on this site when the extended McCall family landed here in June 1796.

The Ontario Genealogy Society/Norfolk Branch's CD-ROM of Names in Norfolk Cemeteries, lists over 1,100 names on Bayview Cemetery stones, as of 2003. This cemetery is still in use.

Many of the surviving historic stones are still fairly readable. Only a few could not be fully transcribed with little effort.  Although almost a dozen stones can be transcribed by pausing the playback of our video when appropriate, our video is meant only as an overview of the cemetery itself, not as an alternative resource to cemetery stone transcriptions.

When it comes to cemetery transcriptions, older is frequently better. Volunteer transcribers from the Norfolk Historical Society transcribed this cemetery in the 1960s. A copy of that transcription is on file and available for viewing in the Reading Room of the Norfolk Heritage Centre (

The Norfolk Branch of the Ontario Genealogy Society subsequently transcribed this cemetery over a decade later, then updated that effort a few years ago. Their transcription is available for sale from their web site: Ontario Genealogy Society/Norfolk Branch. (See their "Published Resources" web page.)

Our videos are merely sneak peeks -- not exhaustive treatments -- of their subject. Hopefully they will provide a touch of perspective for those who live at a distance until they can visit.

Watch this video | Return to Videos | Introduction

Copyright 2007-2008 John Cardiff