|Simcoe's North School, 1956-57|
Last updated: 05 Oct 2017
|Intro | Thumbnails | Individuals | About the photo | Students Names | Writing Bios | Back|
The original source photo is the property of
1957 North School students Vicki Abbey and
We appreciate the efforts
of all who have identified students and staff, but identifications should be
considered tentative until confirmed.
The original print measures approximately 8 inches by 10 inches. There are 36 people (students and staff) in the picture.
The photographer is assumed to have been Harold B. Stewart (1911-2004) of Simcoe. Harold was Simcoe's leading photographer circa 1950-1970. An archive of his work was donated to the Norfolk Historical Society shortly after his death.
Students in this photo were presumably born circa 1942-1945. They remember doctors making house calls and horse-drawn home milk delivery. They witnessed the introduction of television, air conditioning, rock and roll music, jet aircraft, suburbs, satellites, and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
For the last four decades of the
1800s and the first three decades of the last century, Simcoe elementary
school students attended "Union
School" later called "Central School" on Metcalfe
street at the top
(west end) of Young Street. During the depression, two new elementary
schools were built, one in the North Ward, then one in the South Ward.
Central School was demolished to make way for the American Can
plant which was coming to town. North School and South School were in
turn closed in 2000 and eventually torn down, joining Union School in